Chapter Twenty

Lucas's hand returned to his sides.

"I'm good, thanks." Aiden stepped out from between them, relieved to have cold air against his skin.

Connor snorted. "Going to sort him out?"

The guy flicked his eyes to Lucas, his gaze growing more alert by the second. He looked a little disappointed when Aiden didn't change his mind, but he looked hopefully at Connor. "It'll be fun."

"It better be." Connor pat Aiden on his shoulder as he went by, and then disappeared into the crowd with the guy.

Aiden went over to Lucas. "Is it fine to let him go alone?"

"It's his choice." Lucas said, "One of his favourite word's is 'no' so he's very aware of how to use it. Plus, he has our numbers."

"Okay. I won't worry then. I need a drink, I'm way too hot."

"I can imagine." Lucas's eyes darted over his messed-up collar, and dishevelled trousers. "You sure about not going with them?"

"With someone whose name I don't know? I'm sure." Aiden did the same thing, glancing at the issue in Lucas's trousers. "You sure you don't want to run after them?"

Lucas made a grunting sound, and gripped Aiden's hand, drawing them further from the main crowd and towards the outliers. "It's not my fault." He said it as a complaint, as if getting turned on was something he was genuinely annoyed about.

"Wish you were the one wedged between them?" Aiden smirked.

"Wish I was the one wedging it somewhere."

"Lucas!" Aiden laughed.

"Sorry." Lucas sighed, "That was so hot."

"Just friends, remember?" Aiden chuckled. He glanced at the direction they were heading and tugged Lucas towards the gym building on their left. "I need to use the bathroom."

"Uh huh."

"Hey." Aiden tapped his stomach with the back of his hand. His cheeks were already red, so getting embarrassed wouldn't make a difference. Even away from the crowd the air was humid and hot, and Aiden was lightheaded.

There was only a fifteen-minute wait into the bathroom. Aiden went straight to the sink and splashed cold water onto the back of his neck. He used the mirror to help straighten his clothes. His eyes were glossy. His skin peaky. He looked drunk.

"I probably shouldn't have drunk those last two that fast." He went back to Lucas. "Where to next?"

"Hugh and Roma are at – uh" Lucas bit his bottom lip, "Actually, there was a band I was hoping to listen to. They should be up soon."

"We can find them later." Aiden shrugged, and Lucas smiled. It was a shy smile, and all of the 'just friends' nonsense went out of his head.

They weaved their way back into the crowd, and with a stroke of luck actually ended up close to the stage. The music was loud enough that even shouting in Lucas's ear might not be heard.

There was a moment of stillness, and Aiden tugged Lucas to him before it could become awkward. It was definitely the alcohol in his system, because he hadn't been able to dance with Lucas earlier. He was too concerned with looking like an idiot. Now, he wanted to dance with him more than he was scared to put him off.

There was a weird bubble in his chest that made Aiden feel light. Even when he grew breathless, even as the bands changed, even as his legs started to ache and his throat desperately needed something to sate it – that bubble stayed where it was. Lucas was fun to dance with. He did the spins. He joined in with whatever Aiden tried, and the grin never left his lips.