Chapter Fifteen

Aiden heard someone shuffling around outside, but given that Lucas had his head tucked underneath his chin, he wasn't inclined to move. Aiden was sure his lips were swollen. Now that he was calm, thinking about what they'd done made him blush.

It was only kissing. But the intensity had been new. Overwhelming.

There was more rustling outside and Lucas stirred. He sighed, snuggled his face against Aiden's neck, and went still again.

"Not time to get up?" Aiden asked softly. His arm was a numb underneath Lucas's head.

"No way." Lucas mumbled.

Aiden listened to the voices outside. Catching a few words here and there. They were putting down a fire. Aiden ran his fingers through Lucas's dishevelled curls, fixing some of the mess he'd made last night. He felt Lucas smile against his neck.

Lucas shuffled, and lifted himself onto his elbows, as high as the constraints of the sleeping bag would allow. Aiden admired the muscles bunching in his arms, and the lean muscles that led from his chest to his abdomen.

They'd kissed, and gotten Lucas out of his shirt, apparently.

"I'll make you breakfast." Lucas said.

"I don't think French toast is an option out here"

Lucas shrugged. "I'll think of something."

Aiden smiled. "How about you let me handle breakfast?"

Lucas tried to object, but Aiden insisted. He'd planned ahead for this.

Evie was sitting by a small fire, and smirked at Aiden when he climbed out the tent. He stifled any embarrassment and went straight to his bag, sitting down next to her. "Have you eaten?"

"Not yet." Evie shook her head.

Aiden took out the pre-packed breakfast bag. He put the small frying pan onto the fire, and opened a pad of butter onto it.

"Oh" Evie looked intrigued. "This is promising."

"As long as the pan gets hot enough." Aiden pulled out jars of white powder with an egg sitting in each one. He set out the flask of milk next to them and waited.

Lucas came out of the tent -fully clothed- and sat next to Aiden. He eyed up the frying pan, the jars, and opened the flask to see. He smirked. "Pancakes?"

Aiden eyed the melting butter. "Hopefully."

Lucas checked the pack and pulled out the maple syrup and plastic plates. He also found a fold up spatula and looked very impressed.

The butter started to sizzle, and Lucas eyed up the jars.

Aiden repressed a smile. "Do you want to do it?"

"Sure." Lucas said happily.

"Connor, Kal." Evie called, "Pancakes."

The zip went down immediately. "Pancakes?" Connor repeated.

"Aiden has us covered." Evie grinned.

"It is his job." Connor pointed out. "I'll be out in a sec."

Before long they were all munching down on hot food. Aiden put on a pot of water to boil, and then they had tea to go around. Aiden helped himself to coffee.

Warmed up, he felt better about trekking.

"How far away is the next spot?" Evie questioned.

"About two hours?" Aiden sipped his coffee, "We could have made it yesterday, but it was miserable walking in that downpour."