Chapter 11: Never Replaced

Hermione could not believe how slow her week went by while waiting for another potion lesson from none other than Professor Snape. She was shocked at her excitement but welcomed it as well. Snape was her only company, really. That week had been the usual for her, clean out the cauldrons and don't make a sound. He had Hermione grade papers on a Wednesday night for him while he met with one of his student's parents about grades and job opportunities in the future but after that, he had taken everything back and she hadn't touched an essay since. It was Friday evening and Hermione was just counting down the hours for her next meeting with Snape. She had started to attend her meals again, gaining a little more respect from her Potions professor because of the previous lesson. He engaged her in civil conversation... just polite words and questions but nothing more. She knew they were meaningless and had no real interest behind them all but Hermione appreciated them just the same.

She slipped on a sweatshirt and worn out jeans and headed to the Great Hall for dinner after deciding to French braid her loose locks to get them out of her face. Fridays were always more casual since it was the last day before the weekend and students would come dressed casually instead of their usual uniformed attire. Even Professor Snape would attend without his long black robes, just his usual buttoned down coat that reached his knees and slacks.

"Good evening Miss Granger," McGonagall smiled at Hermione as she took her normal seat next to Snape who was already there.

"Good evening Headmistress," Hermione grinned cheerfully, happy to be sitting next to her potions companion once more.

"Miss Granger," Snape acknowledged quietly, not looking at her but his plate. He took a sip of his wine and began having a conversation with Professor Flitwick, the charms teacher.

She smiled at Snape as she listened in on their conversation, it was always something intellectual. Nothing personal about either of them... but they seemed content with that. Not minding the formality.

"How is your apprenticeship going, Hermione?" Cho switched seats with' Madame Hooch when the flying teacher left, finished with her dinner.

Hermione glanced back to see Cho, annoyed at being taken away from the interesting argument on whether the Tergeo spell should have been considered a medical incantation or not, "Hello Cho!" she smiled.

"How is your apprenticeship going? Professor McGonagall told me that you tried to apply to be her apprentice the day after she accepted me. I wanted to apologize and make sure that there are no hard feelings between us. I have so much respect for you apprenticing under Professor Snape. That has to be hard."

Hermione nodded, happy that Cho felt bad and wanted to apologize. It made things not as awkward between them, "Yes it's hard, but at the end of the day, I know he is just pushing me to be my best... I just have to keep reminding myself that." She whispered the last part, laughing a bit.

Cho smiled happily, thankful that Hermione was not completely miserable anymore, "We really should get together more... especially if we will both be teaching here soon. I would love to have some tea with you some time."

"Yes that would be great! I appreciate you thinking of me. It is quite thoughtful of you."

"Would you like to join me in the common room tomorrow for some tea and some time to chat?" Cho asked, politely.

Hermione sighed; there was NO way she was going to give up her lesson for a half an hour of tea and polite small talk. As much as Cho was reaching out to her, Hermione knew they would never be 'friends'... they would probably end up more like mutual colleagues, "Oh Professor Snape is teaching me advanced potions tomorrow."

She frowned, "Oh... on a weekend?"

Hermione nodded, "Yeah, extracurricular. But I enjoy it... he has so much knowledge, I just want to learn everything he is willing to teach me."