Chapter 39: Golpalott's Third Law

"Miss Granger," McGonagall helped her to one of the seats in front of her desk, "What happened?"

Hermione looked up at the Headmistress miserably, in anger. She was sick of all of the drama, sick of crying and definitely sick of the man that was determined to make her life a living hell, "He said you knew of my feelings for him." She spat bitterly.

McGonagall nodded slowly, "Yes he told me after the staff party." Severus had done his part in sending Hermione to her, now it was her turn to take care of the next step, making sure the young witch hopefully would not catch on. She realized why Severus was so hesitant to agree to this plan, Hermione's feelings were much stronger than she originally alleged. The poor girl looked miserable and was led to believe whatever Severus had told her was true, although it was quite the falsehood. And whatever he did say to her, the plan was really working perfectly, but McGonagall was uncertain if Hermione would actually want to leave on her own or if she needed to be coaxed.

"I can't stand to be here with him anymore. I thought I had finally broken through to him… I thought I finally found the man within, but I was so wrong Professor. There is no man more cruel and cold than Severus Snape." She clenched her jaw and dug her nails into the arms of the chair; she was more angry and hurt than sad. She had just thrown away everything she had, to be with him and he decided to leave her cold and dry.

"Are you sure this is what you want?" McGonagall asked her, ready to reconsider the plan in its entirety but had to remember everything that would ensue if she let them continue in their relationship as it stood then. The older witch quickly glanced up at the portrait of the late Headmaster and was reassured with a smile and a nod before sighing and turning back to Hermione.

Hermione stood, "I tried, Headmistress, I really did. I even thought I loved him…" she trailed off before shaking her head, "I need to start a new life. I need to do something for myself instead of pleasing others and giving everything I am for the good of the people when I am empty inside."

McGonagall nodded and waved her wand silently, producing a patronus in the form of a cat that went scampering out the door, "Miss Granger, I must insist you reassess your choice in finding another career. If you were able to continue on your own, off of what Professor Snape taught you in advanced potions… would you consider still studying to be a Potions Mistress? I will allow you to keep your apprenticeship without the supervision of a mentor."

She furrowed her brows, "What?"

The Headmistress sighed and put a comforting hand on Hermione's shoulder, pushing up her glasses, "This would be a private matter between you and I. Would you do this for me? I know I am asking much of you, but I must insist you continue your studies." She hoped Severus was able to teach her the foundations for her to learn more. The young witch was too talented to find a menial and unimportant career. Hermione Granger needed to be the next master, following Severus.

"Why? Why is it so important?" she glared at the wall, wanting to take out all of her frustration and anger on it.

She frowned; this was going to be more difficult than she thought, "For my sake and the school's, I would ask that you maintain your studies. Severus told me that you are ahead in your apprenticeship. It seems like you two have been studying quite a bit over the break and that you are capable of continuing the work on your own. Don't let this get in the way of your future at Hogwarts."

"Why would I want to do that? If Snape is working here, then I won't be." She demanded, extremely upset at the request, "And besides, how do you know all of this? Why has he been prepping me and working me so hard the past few weeks unless the both of you were planning something?"

McGonagall had to hold back, Hermione was too smart, she needed to be more careful with what was said, "I do not know what you are talking about. Severus decided it would be more advantageous to teach you with little distraction around."