Chapter 26: Cinderella

Snape came to the top of the landing in the Entrance Hall and walked down the steps to join all of the other guests. There were two extremely large Christmas trees on either side of the staircase that extended to the vaulted ceilings. Garlands and ribbons, along with draperies and tinsel were scattered around the room, decorating the space in grandeur, just as it always was every year. In the middle of the room was a long table, similar to one of the house tables in the Great Hall. It was set for fifty and dinner had not yet been served. Everyone was still making conversation while the ghosts of Hogwarts were singing Christmas hymns and carols.

"Severus!" Horace Slughorn happily welcomed him into his conversation with Madame Maxime and Aberforth Dumbledore, "Severus was one of my very best students… always had a knack for Potions…"

Snape looked around, scanning for Hermione… in case for some reason, he missed her or she had gone another way through the dungeons…

"…but Lily Potter was my best student… always the little cunning spitfire…" Snape walked away from the three and made his rounds through the hall, searching for his apprentice. He spotted Cho and Oliver Wood having a placid conversation with his parents and decided not to interrupt their evening with more enquiries of Hermione's whereabouts.

"Severus!" McGonagall called to him, there was something different about her, she knew something… he walked towards her with his infamous smirk and she pulled him close, whispering in his ear, "We need to talk."

His heart sank, "Now?" he asked.

She shook her head, "Tomorrow morning, my office. I will let you have the night… but…" she looked at him in concern, "We need to discuss Miss Granger's future."

He nodded, solemnly, and left her side. Snape walked towards a corner of the room and just watched as everyone was so cheerful and happy… and there he was, just waiting for the morning to come to take another piece of his heart. He was getting too old for love. Why couldn't he just have died from Nagini's attack? Hermione would have never grown her affection for him… and he would have never had to learn to love… again.

Hermione checked herself in her mirror after slipping on the dress she had bought earlier. She never knew she could look the way she did. She gulped before exiting her room and slowly… very slowly… made her way out of the painting entrance and down the corridor to the party. Hermione could not believe how nervous she was. Would Snape like the way she was dressed? Would he talk to her? Would he dance with her in his arms all night? She heard music streaming down the hallway as well as laughter and happy chatter. Once she caught sight of the grand staircase, she froze. She had forgotten that she had to walk allthe way down to get to the party… alone. She shouldn't have been in the dress she was in… it called too much attention… she had never worn anything so… seductive.

Snape leaned on the wall and closed his eyes, why was his life destined to end in misery? He quickly opened them once more when all music and laughter stopped, they must be starting dinner, he thought. He looked around to see everyone staring… staring at the figure coming down the staircase.

Hermione…

He stood up straight and watched the most stunning witch he had ever seen gracefully waltz down the stairs in a black dress that had instantly turned her from a schoolgirl to a woman in one swift blow. The dress had thick straps that connected to the ribbon tied underneath her bust… creating an empire waistline while the small bodice was made up of black lace in a sweet heart top. The length of the dress was sprawled out around her, trailing down the stairs behind her in a sheer black, crinkled fabric, almost translucent material. One could see her silhouetted body and nude legs through the fabric. She was stunning and everyone watched her float down the staircase with wonder. There were a few gasps and sighs in the crowd but Snape ignored them as he saw Hermione's eyes wandering through the guests, searching for someone… he knew she was searching for him.