Chapter 38: Meaningless Words

Hermione was fast asleep in his arms and he reveled in the feeling. The young witch turned to him for comfort, support, and protection, but most of all, love. She loved him and he loved her. He wondered if he was doing the right thing for them by agreeing to Albus' plan. If he was, then he just hoped and prayed that Hermione would remember his words… believe and trust in him always. Severus Snape wanted to live the rest of his life in peace with the young woman in his arms. He had no problem leaving the school for her if he could experience even just a little bit of what they shared that night. He had never felt so completed before. Hermione was his other half… his better half to be sure. She was a brilliant witch, not to mention, beautiful, understanding, brave, and so loving. Snape was sure that she would have backed away from him once she pulled off his coat. Not because of the scars but just because of his aging body. He certainly was not as fit as he used to be and was no Ron Weasley to be sure. He was grateful that she had not taken any layers of his clothes off besides his coat which was quite understandable.

He had thought about removing it much earlier but didn't want to frighten Hermione, thinking that he had ill intentions towards her. If nothing else, at least he could say that he was able to finally show the love he had for Hermione through words and actions instead of just trying to ignore his feelings like he had done just days before. He would literally do anything to keep her with him and he cursed Minerva for choosing her to be the next Potions Mistress. Hermione had a more important obligation to the wizarding world than she did to him and he selfishly wished it wasn't so. Even if they lived as muggles for the rest of their lives and were banished from the wizarding community, at least he would have her with him. They could live in his small home together and grow old. Well… at least he would be growing old. As much as he didn't understand her attraction to him, he didn't care anymore. He just wanted Hermione to himself.

Snape had stayed up all night, relaxing in her arms and just trying to enjoy her company while it lasted. He couldn't ask her to stay up with him, that wouldn't be fair to her. It was four in the morning according to the clock on the wall and he sighed, adjusting his position because of his arm going numb. Unfortunately Hermione was woken up and he hissed, wishing he hadn't moved. She was so beautiful and peaceful when she slept and he did not want to be the one to interrupt her slumber. Hermione yawned and rubbed her eyes, not remembering that her Potions teacher was in bed with her. She jumped slightly but then their night came back to her and Snape watched how her expression changed and she gave a tired smile,

"Morning…" she sighed, her voice sounding much smoother now that her crying had ceased for her throat to heal.

"I am sorry to wake you up. It was unintentional." He whispered as Hermione retreated back into his arms and snuggled into his chest.

"I don't mind…" she moaned into his shirt as she found a comfortable position and made a contented sigh.

He let his hand run through her hair lovingly and smiled at the young woman who found comfort only in his arms, "I love you." He whispered.

Hermione fidgeted again, unable to fall asleep, too excited that she was still with him. She could hardly believe that he had spent the whole night with her and had shared a passionate evening in her room. She smiled into his shirt, recalling the evening's events. Hermione would never forget the feeling of him against her and his scent filling her senses. She took a deep breath and let the aroma permeate her. He had such a unique fragrance to him. She chuckled softly and glanced up at the man who had a small smile on his face, staring back at her,

"What is so funny? You should be going back to sleep." He placed a loving hand on her cheek.

Hermione sat up and pulled a pillow to her lap, holding it against her beating chest, "All those rumors about you were so wrong."