Chapter 24: Taking Action

"Hagrid!" Hermione gave the large man a hug, still holding her bags from Diagon Alley, when he answered the door, "How are you feeling? I am sorry I did not visit you earlier!"

He smiled and ushered her inside, away from the cold, "I'm doin' fine…" he let out a big sneeze, his voice was still quite nasal but he appeared much better, "Jus' waitin' fer it to end."

They sat at the table and Hagrid served Hermione some fresh hot cocoa. Hermione frowned, "You poor thing… I hope you feel better soon! If you're feeling up to it, will you be attending the Staff Christmas party, Hagrid?"

"Wouldn' miss it fer the world, especially ter see my 'Ermione all dolled up an beautiful." He grinned after his sniffling, "Say, 'Ermione… I read the Daily Prophet… bad rumors are surfacin' 'bout you an' Snape. Professor McGonagall is furious."

Hermione frowned, "Please don't tell me you honestly believe that dreadful woman, Rita Skeeter?"

Hagrid shook his head, "O' course not, ye and Professor Snape are much more professional than that… I'm jus' worried bout the two o' ye… rumors are a nasty thing." He took a large swig of the cocoa and noisily set the mug down, empty.

"If there was something I could do… just to make it up to him… I just don't know how to fix this, Hagrid. I am at a loss!" Hermione said miserably resting her chin on her folded hands on the table.

"Cheer up, 'Ermione! I heard 'bout the wonderful news, I am so 'appy fer ye." He pointed at her now visible ring since she removed her gloves.

Hermione groaned, "Oh Hagrid… I don't know if this is what's right for me." She inspected the large sparkling diamond.

He looked confused but took both mugs and filled them up with more hot chocolate and dropped a few puffy marshmallows in, "You two are perfec' fer each other… maybe it's jus' jitters."

She didn't have the heart to tell Hagrid anything more, "Maybe."

"Are ye goin' ter invite Ron ter the party?"

Looking up at Hagrid, she shook her head, "I'm not sure. I think I just need time to myself… to sort things out. Besides, I don't want him to miss Christmas with his family… Bill and Charlie will both be there this year. He hasn't seen Charlie in quite some time; I couldn't bear to ask him to leave."

He nodded, "I see, well I would offer to be yer date but I got ahead o' meself and asked Madame Maxime…"

Hermione looked shocked, "She is leaving Beauxbatons to come here for Christmas?"

Hagrid smiled, "Well, she hasn' officially said she was comin', but if I know Olympe Maxime… she wouldn' pass down me offer."

Hermione raised an eyebrow, "Hagrid… she is the Headmistress of another magical school… in France! Why would she come to Hogwarts for just a party, over Christmas break in another country?"

He frowned and Hermione rephrased her sentence realizing her coldness, Snape was really beginning to rub off on her, "Oh Hagrid… I meant that I just wouldn't be so hopeful until you get her consent to come. I don't want to see you get your hopes up…" she rubbed his hand, lovingly.

Seeing him smile again, Hermione stood up and felt his forehead, "Your fever is going down! I'm so glad!" she gave him a large hug around his neck.

"I don' know what I would do without ye… I'm so 'appy you decided to stay at 'ogwarts." He patted her back when a soft knock on the door came. Hagrid stood up and waddled over, not before sneezing and answered the door. Hermione joined his side to see Figgy standing sheepishly in the doorway… his large ears were dropped down low in submission.