Chapter 27: You Are Not Alone

Dedicated to suzzansally for being a fervent fan of this story.

Hermione's heart skipped a beat as she felt herself being pulled up out of her chair. He let her hand go for just a moment to remove his dress robes and laid it across the back of his chair like he always did in his classroom. Hermione watched his fluid movements and examined him fully for the first time that evening. His hair seemed much neater and pieces curled every which way near his shoulders, he now revealed his familiar long, knee-length coat and Hermione was surprised to see that he left it unbuttoned halfway down to reveal more of his tucked cravat with his black dress shirt just peaking out beyond his collar and cuffs, his shoes were extremely shiny and glimmered in the lights and reflections from the Christmas trees. He truly looked like royalty to her… he commanded respect and dignity with just his presence.

Although Snape still had his usual stare of coldness, she knew that it was just a cover. She heard him sigh as he led her to the dance floor and placed one hand on the small of her back while taking her own hand in his and slowly started moving to the waltz. He seemed unsure of himself but held his composure while glancing about the room, almost embarrassed to look at her although he would never admit to it. She heard the magical harp start to play a familiar French tune…

"This song is so beautiful," she whispered and caught his attention.

He nodded and softly replied, "This was my mother's favorite carol."

Hermione was shocked; Did he just share something extremely personal with me? He had never mentioned anything about his parents before… she blushed and gave a small smile up at her teacher. Snape occasionally glanced down at his feet, watching his steps carefully. Hermione could tell he was not used to dancing at all. Perhaps that was why he let everyone waltz with her, so she could still enjoy the party without being stuck with him… her partner that was afraid to dance. She did not care that he was not an expert; she could have cared less if he hadn't even asked her to join him out on the floor, Hermione was just grateful to be back in his arms on such a magical night. Moving closer to him, she closed her eyes and listened to the song Cantique de Noel… or as most muggles would refer to it, Oh Holy Night.

There was a loud bang which woke up all the couples as the music stopped in mid-song. Mrs. Norris, Filch's cat, had jumped on the harp that was providing the melody, and knocked it over. She scampered back to her master who seemed to have a large grin on his face that was solely directed at Hermione. She blushed but felt rather annoyed, her perfect moment with Snape had been ruined as he left her side and tended to the school's instruments. Hermione noticed more house elves were cleaning up the table and already taking down the decorations. The magic was gone. She was only given about two minutes with him in bliss before all was ruined. Slowly walking over to the chair that held Snape's robes, Hermione sadly settled down and rested her chin on the back of the seat, on top of the draped material. She could smell the Potions Master's scent from the garment and Hermione tried to at least enjoy it before her whole night was botched up and over.

"Miss Granger," Snape returned, amused at his student clutching tightly to his robes.

She opened her eyes and saw her teacher standing over her, "Yeah?" she sighed as she sat up and brought the smooth material to her lap.

"It is getting quite late," he hinted for her to stand so he could escort her back to her room.

Hermione, still holding his robe, stood up and reluctantly took the proffered arm held out for her. She looked so disappointed to Snape but he shrugged it off and decided to take the longer route, hoping to cheer her up somewhat. He, Severus Snape, was trying to cheer up a student? He wanted to laugh at himself but withheld the urge. She kept her head down the whole time, not appreciating his effort to spend a little more time with her. He couldn't believe himself, finally he had the girl he had grown to adore by his side, and he was just leading her back to her room for the night. He knew that that night would probably be their last together… so why was he sending her off to bed? Of course, so I don't have to address my feelings with her. He mused bitterly.