Chapter 40: Spinner's End

Hermione saw Snape striding towards her and she frowned. Something was going on and as much as she wanted to leave, she also wanted to figure it out. The students had been filing into the school to start the new term and she tried to ignore the stares that she was receiving with her bags all packed standing in the middle of the Entrance hall. She was freezing with the doors opened because of the masses coming through from the train. She now knew how embarrassing it was and how her least favorite professor, the awkward Sybill Trelawney, felt when Dolores Umbridge had tried to kick her out in front of the whole school. Where was Hagrid? She had been waiting for him for over a half hour and she still failed to see the large man.

She cringed as a blonde haired girl blocked her view of Snape advancing in her direction with a certain red haired friend locked at the arm, "Hermione,"

Hermione gave a small smile, very fake one, at her, "Luna, how was your holiday?"

"It went quite well actually, except Neville tried to eat one of the dirigible plums… we didn't expect him to be allergic—" she started, dreamily.

She sighed softly, trying to not make eye contact with Ginny who was joined at the hip with Luna, "That's wonderful, Luna." Hermione replied, not really paying attention.

The airy girl tilted her head, respectively, and smiled as if she knew something Hermione didn't, "We are getting married in the spring, you know. I hope you will be able to make it seeing as you are packed to leave somewhere."

Hermione went pale as Ginny soaked in the information, "Why are you leaving?"

She felt a pair of arms wrap around her tightly from behind and a crying girl whimpering, "Hermione no! I won't let you!"

Ginny looked to the girl, "Cho what is going on?"

She composed herself before carrying on, "Hermione is leaving her position as apprentice under Snape," she rushed quickly, turning back to her new companion, "Please don't go… I feel as though we just started to become good friends—"

Hermione closed her eyes slowly and opened them, trying to calm down. She felt sick to her stomach. She just wanted to be left alone, away from everyone else. Snape had betrayed her, she had broken Ron's heart, McGonagall was practically forcing her to keep her apprenticeship, Hagrid had still yet to be seen to take her away, Ginny was giving her a silent guilt trip, Luna was… Luna, and now Cho was begging for Hermione to stay in her chaotic world. She could only wonder if there was anything else that could add to her list of problems. It was enough to drive even the sanest of people to madness,

"I—"

"Miss Granger is taking leave for a time in which one can only hope she might return." Snape's voice drawled out, sarcastically but with a hint of honesty. He raised an eyebrow at the girls surrounding his apprentice. Ginny stiffened at his presence as well as Cho while Luna just gave him a smile and Hermione was glaring at him.

"Professor, you must tell Hermione to stay!" Cho blurted out, close to tears.

Snape's mouth twitched, amused at the girl who had become so attached to the Gryffindor, "It is out of my hands."

Hermione winced and narrowed her eyes at him, "Is it?" she whispered as the three girls stared at the apprentice and mentor, confused at what was going on.

"How dare you, you filthy little creature! You get back here now!" a smart voice came echoing through the halls as the five of them all turned to find Malfoy running after Figgy who was wailing and heading straight for Hermione. She bent down as Figgy ran into her arms and Malfoy, who appeared to be soaking wet, pulled out his wand, sneering at the two of them,