Chapter 20: Never Letting Go

Professor Snape had not attended breakfast that morning; and Hermione figured it was a smart choice because the Great Hall was louder than it had ever been all year on account of the students going home for the holidays. She was glad he hadn't been present to see her gifts she received from Ginny and Luna; what would he have said if he saw the stirring rod that Ginny picked out? She didn't even know that they sold decorated ones… she had only ever seen the ones used in class and the extras that Snape had in his desk. Hermione had said her goodbyes to her friends with promises to write all throughout the holiday. She envied them, they had wonderful men to spend Christmas with… ones who loved them in return with family to celebrate with. She had no family… no one to celebrate with… just the staff at Hogwarts. It wasn't much comfort for her usual holiday that was spent with friends and family at home.

Hermione filed out of the Great Hall and decided to take a nice stroll outside to enjoy the beautiful snowfall and all the happy faces that were leaving to meet their families. The hallways were clearing out as was the courtyard from what she could see through the windows. She walked outside and was met with a rush of icy breezes softly flowing by. She loved the winter… it made Hogwarts even more magical… if that was at all possible. As she slowly made her way through the large courtyard, she saw a group of Gryffindor boys huddled in a cluster together, laughing at something. Hermione waltzed over to hear more of their conversation; they looked to be fourth years.

"Mummy and Daddy didn't want you… that's why you're stuck here!" they laughed pushing something in between them around. Hermione could only hope it wasn't a student… which she absolutely knew it must be.

"No one is here to tuck you in at night… poor baby… hope you don't wet yourself or Snapey will have to change your diaper!"

Snape had been on his way to the Great Hall to snag a piece of toast before starting any work but was distracted when he saw a smiling Hermione happily making her way outside. Her hair was braided on the side and wisps of curls were falling out, around her face. He hadn't realized when she truly had started to grow up but he was pleased with the witch she was becoming… not only in beauty but in her education and career choice. He shook his thoughts, why was he thinking such things? Lily… she had twice the heart Hermione did… but the young witch was sure competing for looks with his beloved. What was he thinking! Why was she overwhelming his thoughts lately? Why was he actually enjoying her company?

She was much shorter than Lily was… she didn't have those striking green eyes… she didn't have the fiery red hair… what was it about Hermione Granger that intrigued him so? Why was she catching his eye when no one ever had previously? The night before, when he walked in on the daft reporter trying to catch a good story, however false it was, from his student, he could not believe his ears… but when he saw Hermione's face… it was almost as if everything the blonde woman had mentioned… she earnestly wanted. The need in her eyes was astounding and he could not erase it from his memory. Perhaps that was why he couldn't stop thinking about Hermione. No one had ever yearned for him… or wanted him… not even Lily. He shook his thoughts… he was thinking like a mad man… not a dignified Potions Master.

He followed Hermione out the door into the courtyard, wanting to see what trouble and mischief she would get herself into that day… hoping to catch her in the act… something he loved to do with all students… especially seeing her embarrassed face—the insufferable know-it-all getting caught breaking the rules. What he did see, though, shocked him. She confronted a group of Gryffindors looking rather suspicious. Hermione grabbed one of the scarves around a taller boy's throat and yanked him out of the way. The Gryffindors broke up their huddle which revealed a first year Slytherin boy, someone he recognized instantly as Eugene Chandler. The boy's mother had been killed by Voldemort during the war and his father was locked up in Azkaban which left him without parents and a place to stay. Hogwarts was his home now, just as so many other Slytherins had come to dub it as well. Nearly half the students in his house were now missing at least one parent if not both… most of them were staying in the castle over Christmas break, finding family in each other.