Chapter 59: More than it Seems

"What? What are you talking about?" Hermione blurted out, beginning to tremble.

Harry stood beside Hermione, "Ezra Moon told us it was cancelled this morning and was going to be held this evening."

Ezra stood tall, "I was told by Elphias Doge..."

Susan shook her head, "No... Madam Hobbs was given orders to have the room moved to the Council of Magical Law for Snape's trial and would then resume the hearing for Hermione this afternoon in front of the Wizengamot."

Harry wrapped his arms around Hermione in support as Susan gave a sympathetic expression to the shattered girl in front of her, she sighed, "I'm sorry..."

"Where is he?" She cried out, pushing Harry away from her.

Susan pulled her close and whispered something to her so that no one else would hear, "Hermione, I believe there is still time to stop this..." she mouthed, hardly a whisper at all for it was barely audible.

She raised an eyebrow at the Hufflepuff who gave a deep breath, and slipped something long and smooth into Hermione's hand, "I believe this belongs to Snape. He is in Courtroom Ten..."

Running her fingers along the cool wood she glanced down only for a moment to see Snape's wand in her grasp. Her eyes widened at Susan who gave a sly smile, "I may be a Hufflepuff but that doesn't mean I don't know how to get dirty."

Hermione nodded at the sarcastic comment and quickly hugged the girl. After pulling back, she tightened her grip around the ebony wood, "Thank you," she mouthed to her before straightening herself with a deep inhale of breath and ran out of the courtroom as fast as her weak legs would take her.

"Hermione come back!" Harry yelled after her.

"Hermione wait!" Ron called trying to catch her but it was futile, by the time he had reached the door, his former love had vanished down the hallway.

"Hurry, we have to go after her before she does something she may regret!" McGonagall panicked and rallied everyone together.

Darting in and out of the crowds, Hermione headed down below the Department of Mysteries. She weaved through the people with silent tears streaming down her face. Was Snape alright? Was he still there? Would she be in time before the court charged him only on his testimony? Who was behind everything and why would they want to go after the man she loved? Hermione bumped into a man and quickly pushed him out of her way, hearing displeased calls after her but she didn't care. She couldn't care... Severus Snape's life was on the line and if everything she believed was true, then the Ministry wouldn't hesitate to completely ignore his testimony and send him to Azkaban. She made a vow to herself, then and there that no matter what happened, she would save her beloved Potions Master, her friend and teacher, her lover...

What would it take for her to save him? Would her life be hanging in the balance? Surely she would switch places with him in a heartbeat so that he would go free but Hermione knew that he would never allow such a travesty. It would almost be an insult to Snape if she tried to do something so foolish. But at that point, she was willing to do anything to at least see the man one more time! How could she let the Ministry throw him to the Dementors? It would NOT happen! She would never let it! Hermione leapt down the stair cases, two steps at a time, wishing at that moment that she had a broom or something that would help her cause! She could not apparate in the Ministry and she sorely cursed that fact. Finally on the level she needed to be on, Hermione bolted towards the end of the corridor that had the infamous number ten written above it. Her heart sank when she saw the numerous guards standing watch which indicated that the hearing must have still been in session. Hermione growled, no amount of men could stop her now. She was finished with being fooled, finished with having her future in someone else's hands! She could no longer stand aside while letting someone else take the reins! Hermione was in charge of her own life and could make her own choices as she pleased! When the men saw her they pulled out their wands and sent several different spells hurling her way,