artificial love ➤ | ❝not Dan❞

artificial love

not Dan

M A X

                                       Christmas tradition were always the shit at my house.

     My mom was always trying to keep the family together, so she figured if she made up some type of Christmas tradition activity for us to do, then we could all stay close.

     "So who are you going to invite to the Christmas party tonight?" my mom asked, putting ornaments on the Christmas tree.

     "Just my friends like always." I said, shrugging.

     "What about that girl you're always talking about to your friends?" my dad said, barging into the conversation, carrying boxes. "Natalie, right?"

     "Her name is Naomi, and I don't always talk about her." I said, blushing.

     "Yeah, and my name is not Dan." he replied, laughing.

     My mom quietly giggled as she helped my dad with the other boxes, grabbing some and placing them on the floor.

     "Besides, I don't think she would want to come." I said, opening one of the boxes.

     "And why not?" my mom asked, looking up at me.

     I shrugged. I didn't have a reason. Ever since our kissing scene and we told each other that we loved one another, things just got really awkward for me. I know that all of this was supposed to be fake and all, but after spending time with Naomi she's grown on me and I really do love her.

     "Well, you don't know if you didn't try, Max." my dad said, smiling.

     He's right.

     I smiled back and pulled my phone out of my pocket. Quick as lightning, I texted Naomi. Before hitting the send button, I read the text message over and over again, making sure that everything was perfect and I didn't sound like a complete idiot. Once the deed was done I looked up at my dad and nodded.

N A O M I

     "When are we going to put up the Christmas tree, dad?" I said, stealing a gingerbread cookie from Lola's plate.

     "I'm not quite sure, honey. Ask your mom." my dad said, staring at his phone.

     "I did and she told me to ask you."

     "Well," he sighed. "I have to work and my schedule-"

     I already knew where this was going.

     "I understand, daddy. You're a busy man and you don't have time for your daughter anymore."

     "Naomi, please don't start this." he said, finally making eye contact with me.

     "Start what, dad? I thought Christmas was supposed to be the time when families get together and be with each other, but I guess this family isn't really a family." I said, walking away from him.

     I could hear him calling my name to come back and talk to him, but what's the use? He isn't going to listen. The both of them don't. When they're off from work, they bring it home. I haven't even told them about the Kyan incident because I know they won't listen.

     Sighing, I slammed the door of my room and jumped on my bed. It's a Friday night and I have nothing to do. I could be hanging out with friends, but I haven't talked to Rose since the last football practice and she's probably has something else to do with her crazy family. Megan is probably somewhere eating Kyan's face and we weren't even on speaking terms. I have no friends. Nobody to hang out with anymore. They all turned their backs on me.

     Pulling me out of my thoughts, I heard my phone violently buzzing on my dresser, signaling that I had a text messages. It was from him. The person that actually wanted to be my friend at this point in my life.

max schneider
hey it's Max, but you already knew that. my parents are throwing their annual Christmas party night. I was wondering if you're not busy you could swing by. It's totally cool if you didn't want to, I understand.
It starts at 6pm and if you need help with directions just call I'm sure I can help you out. I'm pretty sure I'm just dragging out this message, so I'll just go now.
Again if you don't come I understand.

     I laughed so hard at the text messages. It's so cute when Max tries too hard. You would think he wouldn't be the one to try hard, but he's definitely the one.

     I looked over the time. I only had two hours to get ready. Sighing, I dragged my butt to the guest room.

     "Hey loser, want to go to a Christmas party?" I said, smiling.

     Lola looked up from her laptop and smiled.

     "Whose party?"

     "Max's."

     "I'm already going to one. Tanner's friend is throwing one and I have a ride and everything. Maybe next time."

     "Wow," I sighed. "I can't believe my little baby cousin is going Christmas parties, and she isn't telling me. You're growing up too fast." I said, wiping a fake tears from my eyes.

     She rolled her eyes and I closed the door behind me, walking towards the bathroom to get ready.

837 words | oh hanukkah oh hanukkah