8 |

I was shocked to find everyone waiting for me in my chambers. Gwen was the first one to notice the engagement ring missing on my finger.

"Where did it go?" She asked.

"Don't tell me the two of you divorced!" Morgana let out an annoyed groan.

I shook my head, "We didn't. I only took it off. I gave him a chance to choose to marry someone else better than me."

"But...why?" Gwaine asked.

My eyes landed on Lancelot, who stared at me. "Although I cannot put my duties as Captain of the Royal Guard before family, I still think that this is for the best."

"Are you sure about it?" Arthur asked.

I nodded, "We will still come together to protect Camelot, of course. But one thing's for sure," I paused, "The shade cannot be left alive."

-

A few days later, when Sir Leon was set free, and Mithian the shade burnt to death, I still couldn't get over the fact that I had taken the engagement ring off my finger.

I stood on the balcony, holding out a dragon-shaped pendant of a necklace that years ago, Leon had also given me.

"I love you," I whispered to the cold breeze.

Since I was on guard duty while everybody else was either sleeping or having a small feast, I was alone.

I hope you'd find a better woman more than me when I set you free.

But I had thought I heard him saying, "There is no better woman than you," when I started to leave.

Mother, promise me you will never leave father. Please.

It was a death-bed promise. I hadn't keep that promise. It made me feel irresponisible.

"I'm sorry, daughter," I continued saying to the wind, "I couldn't keep that promise. You wouldn't know what I am going through now with your father."

It was silence.

I jerked upright when a heard thumping of hooves, and my sharp eyes immediately spotted two intruders galloping inside the castle grounds.

"Guards!" I shouted to them from above.

Hurriedly, I took a running leap from the balcony, thankfully it had quickly reached the courtyard. 

"State your presence," I pulled my sword out of its sheath, "Who are you and what are you doing here on the grounds of Camelot?"

The first rider dismounted, and pulled back his hood. My eyes rounded in surprise when I saw Mordred, in his sixteens and eighteens.

I was even more shocked when the second rider dismounted as well. He wore no hood. And his familiar smirk I saw was Agravaine.

"Captain," Agravaine sneered, "How good it is to see you again, isn't it, my lovely old niece?"

I drew backwards, taken back by the two visitors, "A-Are you sure this is not a joke?"

"Why would it be?" Agravaine asked, smiling widely, "Come and give your dear ol' uncle a hug!"

When I was a child, I was told I never had an uncle. But now, it seems that miracle happens everyday.

I embraced him tightly.