II. Lament of Chains

Chains clawed against each other as she tugged on the base attached to the wall

Chains clawed against each other as she tugged on the base attached to the wall. Faced with frustration, Aria slumped her head back in defeat while her eyes piercing the dark ceiling above. She cursed the chains, the fabric around her wrist, and her life. Until she heard a pattering sound echo in the cell, and she lowered her head to see droplets of water fell from the cracks. Aria licked her cracked lips from the very sight of water.

She held her hands out, and a small drop fell onto one of her palms. Her tongue slid from her palm to the tip of her finger as a bitter taste of sweat and dirt filled her mouth. Aria spat at the ground. With her arm, she rubbed away the remaining saliva. Her eyes were caught by a layer of dirt smudged across her arm, revealing the scars that hid underneath. For a while, she stared at the bumps along her skin. Until a small hiss crept into her ears.

Something moved around under her skin. It squirmed and moved, attempting to slither around in her skin. It didn't feel whole, different areas of her body could feel it move. She covered her mouth, downing the hot liquid that had almost spilled out of it.

"Not again," She thought to herself.

Her palm wrapped around the broken chain attached to her wrist. Bending over, she lifted her arms over her head. She aimed it towards the back of her neck where the hissing grew louder. Instantly, it's rugged edges began to dig into her skin and wound. Aria bit at her lip as she begun to taste iron. Holding the sharp chain to back region of her neck, she began to slice down her skin. She cut through the moving ink.

The dull blade caught against her skin many times before finally making a full tear in her flesh. She went in again, dragging the blade as crimson dripped down her back. Another cut, and so the hissing grew furious with each wound. Her ears rang as hot liquid soaked her back.

Aria's palm burned with a raging fire, causing her to release the blood covered chain. Her skin continued to move while the thing back there hissed with pain. She, on the other hand, rested on all fours, while blood dripped from her palm and back.

"Get out of me," she whispered. "Get out. Get out. Get out!"

Finally, the hissing stopped.

Her eyes shifted to her open palm, looking at the cut she had made from gripping the broken chain. A red gash resided on her tan skin. She closed her eyes as she fell to her side.

A loud growl filled the cell's halls. Her hand fell over her begging stomach, and she gripped at the skin near her gut. Her small fingers barely grabbed anything except for a small amount of flesh. Once again her stomach roared, gnawing at whatever she had left within her.

"You sound hungry," a small voice noted.

Aria's head jolted to the source of the voice, her eyes peering through the filthy mess of strands of her greasy hair. On the other side of the cell, a small child stood, one who couldn't be older than the age of ten. With a quick glance, she examined the boy's appearance.