VII. Wrappings of Silk

A man stumbled out of the castle grounds

A man stumbled out of the castle grounds. A bandage was wrapped over his left eye with red dying the white cloth. William half dragged him across the pavement, with one of the man's arms draped over his shoulder. His nose wrinkled in disgust from the horrid smell of dung, blood, and urine mixed into one, making him want to choke.

Aria stood at the edge of the gate. With bright eyes, a smile peered her lips the moment she spotted William carrying the man. She rushed over to them, nearly tripping over her feet in the process. She slid the man's other arm over her shoulder, taking him from William the moment that she could. Without a word exchanged between them, Aria began to walk away while using her weight to support the man. William shook his head at the very sight.

"Wait," he said as he stepped in front of her. Pulling the satchel over his shoulder, he handed it to Aria. "Inside you'll find some herbs, two vials, and a fresh roll of bandages. The vial with the green liquid will numb his pain, give him no more than three drops in water every night. The orange one is for you so that you don't get an infection. Take a bath, put both the herbs and the orange liquid into a bowl and mix well then rub the paste on your cuts. The bandage is to rewrap his eye."

Aria blinked a few times before reaching out for the bag. When she took it, she peeked inside while using her fingers to move around the object within. William's arms crossed over his chest as his weight shifted to one side of his body. Her eyes lifted, and she threw the satchel over her shoulder.

"Thank you," she mumbled.

She turned away and walked. William's lips parted as if to say something. Yet, his mind went blank. Subconsciously, he took a step forward with an arm slightly stretched out. William pulled back, looking down at his hand, then to the side. His mind swarmed with thoughts. With a grunt, he ran his fingers through his black hair. Looking at Aria's back, he began to mouth "thank you."

He turned on the heels of his boots, stopping the moment his eyes meet a sight of lilac. Her skin was fair, but her face was covered by a large laced fan. She fanned herself, and rounded brown eyes peered at him. The lids were coated with a heavy powder, which went along with the rose stain on her lips. William rolled his eyes at the sight.

She slapped her fan closed, then proceeded to wave her hand in a coming motion. With each step, her hips swayed elegantly. Golden locks bounced, and the bottom of her dress dragged across the stone pavement.

Following her, he absorbed the scene around him. Watching as servants ran errands for the evening supper, or perhaps a wardrobe malfunction. Nobles walked around and enjoyed the accompany of others. Many of which simply met to discuss potential business in the future.

Pollen brushed his nose as a woman ran past him while she held a basket of mixed flowers. He rubbed it, simply to stop the tingling sensation he felt from the scents. His eyes trailed towards the church, seeing as the priest in red bowed his head at those who passed by. Stopping in his tracks, he turned to the church. He touched the center of his head and closed his eyes, dipping his head as he said a brief prayer.