VIII. Lives of Halflings

Aria's eyes shot open and took a moment to adjust to her abrupt awakening

Aria's eyes shot open and took a moment to adjust to her abrupt awakening. Sweat smothered her as it soaked through her skin, her pillow, and her bedsheets. She raised her body, only to be stopped by her stomach churning from being laid on for far too long. Using her arm, she wiped her forehead, feeling the damp liquid cling to her.

A groan emitted from her the moment she arched her back. Blinking a few times, she cleared her tired eyes. Aria dropped her head and looked down to notice that her top half was completely bare. The only thing that covered her sense of decency was white bandages that went over her chest and around her back.

Moving off of the unfamiliar bed, she placed her arm over each other and raised them above her head. Perching one of her legs on the edge of the bed, she bent her knees while moving her body forward. Her muscles were tense, but after a few movements, she felt fluid again.

As she continued to press at her legs, her eyes trailed around the room. Dark walls with wooden panels, four beds each with a table next to them, and one cabinet. Other than a few simplistic wall decorations, the room was mostly bare. Aria gave a puzzled look, pressing her hand against her lip while her eyes looked down at her moving feet.

A loud snore came from her left and broke her from her thoughts. Looking over, she saw a large figure lying in one of the beds. Its sides slowly rose and fell.

She spotted her green shirt from earlier laying at the end of the bed. However, dried blood peeled from the shirt the moment she touched it. Brushing off the flakes from her hand, she began to make her way towards the small window.

The sounds of voices grew louder as she got closer. Aria pushed open the wooden panel slightly and looked out to the bare streets aside from a few people talking from the building across the street.

"Aria?" Leo called out.

She turned to him, walking away from the window and too his side. Plopping on his bed, she took his hand into hers. Aria gave him a small smile while brushing away his brown hair away from his good eye. Warmth seeped into her skin the moment her finger touched him, telling her that he still had a fever from the wound. Aria couldn't recall what the word they used, but she knew the signs.

"Why don't you have a shirt?" he asked as he quickly glanced her up and down. "What happened to your back?"

"Long story," she replied, "I'll tell it to you another time. Anyway, how do you feel? I know it must be...different."

Leo lifted his hand and placed it over her eye. His lips curved as he laughed at her confused stare. Aria pushed his hand, and slowly began to undo the bandages that covered his eye. His bronzed skin had a layer of sweat, which she could feel when her fingers brushed by. Looking at his eye, her fingers covered her lips as a small gasp came from her.

The socket was a deep red. With the eye already removed, it was an empty hole without a purpose. Scars had already begun to form along with the three claw marks along the side of his face. However, there were parts covered with green puss. It emitted a horrible stench of gore. Poking the puss, it clung to her like slime. Aria looked away. She struggled to swallow the bubble that had formed in her throat, and quickly she wiped her finger on the bed. He gripped her wrist and spoke with his thick accent.