XIX: Serpent of Drake

Aria reached over William, knocking him to the ground

Aria reached over William, knocking him to the ground. Her entire body fell on top of him as she reached out for the dagger that he had thrown to the side. Keeping her back, William pushed at her shoulders. However, she was filled with a drive. He looked up at her. Bearing witness, he saw the same eyes she had in the cells. Suddenly, he remembered the blood. William pushed against her again. She clawed at him.

He knew his limit. His muscles felt a twinge of weakness and he could feel the weight underneath his eyes. Aria rammed her elbow into the side of his arm, sending a jolt through his body. Her fingers curled into a fist, yet he was distracted by the layer of tears that glistened on her eyes. Her fist met his jaw. William reached for her arm, pulling his back up from the ground. His arms wrapped around her waist and back, pulling her in for an embrace.

Aria went still. His very touch had frozen her. Like ice that had glossed over the waters of a pound, calming the surface but leaving the waters rushing beneath. He felt her rugged breath against his ear. Her fingers slid down his shoulder, falling to his lap. Pulling away, he pulled her wrist and placed his forehead against hers. With darting eyes, she kept looking at her arm and the snake now resting in her skin.

"Look at me," William called out. "You need to calm down. Breathe. Do as I do."

He breathed through his nose for a bit and then exhaled slowly through his mouth. Aria followed. Breathing in through her nose and out slowly through her mouth. Soon, the two were in sync as Suyi stood off to the side.

After a while, Aria pushed William away. His eyes followed her, watching as she raised to her feet. He soon followed, stepping in front of her as she turned away from him. She looked up at him, cocking her head to the side as he held his hand out to her.

"Give me your daggers," he demanded. She mumbled under her breath. He didn't need to hear her words to understand that she was insulting him, but he didn't care. He would not stand by.

She reached down to the ground, picking up the dagger that she was desperate for moments ago. He noticed her eyes glossed over the blade before placing it into his hands. Slipping the dagger into his boot, Suyi walked up to him and handed him Aria's other dagger.

"Does this happen often?" she asked. With a scoff, William adjusted the sleeves of his tunic. "Oh don't be like a cauades."

"A what?" William questioned while looking down at the short girl. With a small laugh, she tapped the side of his face.

"You're lucky you're attractive," she sang as she slid her pointer finger down his chin. "But I called you an animal that is known for eating its own tail."

"Excuse me?" William shouted as Suyi skipped away.

While he pursed his lips, he watched as Suyi knelt beside Aria. He rolled his eyes, staring towards the ground and then the man not far in the distance. Strolling over, he stepped over him. For a moment, he stared at the man before squatting down. Grabbing the man by the shirt collar, he pulled him up. Like a corpse, the man's limbs fell to the floor with no restraint. Cocking his head to the side, he noticed how pale the man's completion has grown. As if the spirit of winter has come down and kissed his lips, taking his soul to leave him as a hollow shell.