XIII: Name of the Bird

Like a dance, William spun his sword around his hand

Like a dance, William spun his sword around his hand. Pulling Aria into a trance, for his powerful yet graceful moves were hypnotic to her. The rays of the fading sun shined upon the dirt covered field that was fenced off into a large circle. The golden sky was enough for them to be alone, but not enough to hinder their vision. He turned her way, aiming the tip of his sword at her while his fingers curled. 

Aria's grip tightened around the hilt of the dull daggers. She grabbed them from the weapon's  rack per William's instructions. He continued to use his custom sword, with the vines and lightning carved into the blade of the sword. 

She pulled her feet closer. Her back slightly hunched over. Watching as he moved his left foot in front of the other, she spaced the distance of her arms. Both of his hands wrapped around the hilt of his blade. Feeling the leather against both his hands, he tilted his body while he eyed Aria.

Charging after him, she raised the daggers into the air. William raised his sword. Blocking her, he kicked at her stomach and knocked her back. She clenched her teeth. 

Without a moment to spare, William went to strike at her left. She hopped back, losing her balance momentarily before lunging after him once again. This time she focused on the right side of his stomach.

Just as she was in range, he quickly changed the direction of his sword. He blocked it. She felt her palms shake and sting from the impact. Not long after, he began to push his weight towards her.  A laugh escaped him. He parried her blade, and stopped his sword at the base of her neck.

"You'd have been dead already," he chuckled while he pulled back his sword.

Dropping her hands to her sides, Aria clicked her tongue. Turning her head, she looked over at the bare archery range. It was what she would have preferred to be training, but William insisted on seeing her in action first. 

His hand slapped against her shoulder. She jerked her head, realizing the tip of his sword pointing at her gut.  Her lips curved down into a frown. 

"You'd have been dead there too. Focus," he said. 

"Ok, I get it. Focus," Aria said while adjusting her ponytail. "But I haven't been fighting all of my life." William dropped his blade, and took one quick glance at her. 

"I'm well aware of that. Your form is horrendous," William said harshly. Aria crossed her arms, while she tilted her head to the side. "Bad, it means very bad."

"Ah," Aria acknowledged and proceeded to point at him. "You're also horrendous."

He quickly shot her a glare the moment the word left her voice. A smile painted itself on her face. A small laugh left him while he placed his hand on his hip.

"No," he began, causing Aria to roll her eyes. "I'm actually the embodiment of perfection, quite the opposite of horrendous."

"So...horrendous."