IX: Beast of Ink

Aria pushed herself to her feet, scrambling over to a nearby corner where she could hide

Aria pushed herself to her feet, scrambling over to a nearby corner where she could hide. A loud crash fell near the guards, and in a split second, they all went into the mouth of the creature. Her back pressed against the concrete wall, while the sounds of cries filled her ears. She could feel her heart pounding against her chest, threatening to burst. Her breathing was heavy, taking long strokes to fill her lungs. Chills filled her body and her bones rattled. Gripping her wrist, she tried to stop her body from shaking. With a thump, she pressed her head against the wall.

The mixture of sounds continued to fill the air. She could hear the wet noises from its inky body bubbling and sticking to the ground. The low tone of its hissing and gurgling voice shook Aria to the core. A monstrous sound that made her knees weak. The fact that people were screaming made her feel no different, instead, a wave of guilt loomed over her.

Gritting her teeth, she peeked her head around the corner. Her eyes soaked up every detail. A giant snake that was far bigger than normal, with its head rising up past some of the smaller houses. Its body dripped with wet ink. Slithering across the pavement, a trail of black followed behind it. A tongue shot out of its mouth, as it sensed around to get its bearings. Aria watched as the creature snaked around the fountain. It turned its head towards the statue, lashing out, the snake took the statue into its mouth and broke it from the fountain. Rubble fell from its body, and pieces laid on the ground covered in black goo.

A loud crash came from one of the stands. The snake whipped its head and hissed at the direction of the noise. Aria spotted a man running across the square the moment the snake turned his head. Her heart dropped.

"No, wait!" were the words that went through her head. Her hand was outstretched, watching as the creature devoured him whole in one move. She slammed her back against the wall again, while her body continued to shake.

She stood there, frozen by what she had just witnessed. Her fingers began to dig into her palm while she bit her lower lip. Counting to ten within her head, she slowly looked over the wall once again. Her eyes looked around the town square until they eventually met with a little girl who sat underneath a stand. Raising her finger, Aria pressed it against her lips as she snuck a glance at the snake.

Scanning the area, she formed a plan within her mind. Aria wasn't going to fool herself, it wasn't a good plan. However, she couldn't stand by when she knew who created that thing. It meant that they were near, or at least Drake was, and she knew the weakness of his pets.

She bent her knees, swaying back and forth as she mentally prepared herself. Her eyes were glued to the creature, watching its every move. Taking a deep breath, she calmed her nerves. Words echoed from her mouth as she gave herself some form of encouragement.

Three.

The snake slithered around the fountain. The small girl held her hand to her mouth, watching as it stalked passed. Hissing, the snake stuck its head around a corner of a building. The tar tongue continued to flicker from its mouth and left splotches of ink.