X: Eyes of Snakes

Drake's pupils slowly morphed from snake-like to their original shape

Drake's pupils slowly morphed from snake-like to their original shape. He blinked a couple of times, clearing his blurry vision. With heavy breaths, he felt around the nearby tables, knocking down the wooden cups, bowls, and food. Eventually, his fingers wrapped around the small vial. His rotten teeth bit down on the cork and pried it off of the bottle.

Rushing the liquid into his mouth, he regained his sight with each passing moment. He threw the vial on the ground. His head slumped against the table, while he pushed his short blonde hair back. Sweat had dampened his skin, as it dripped down his back, face, and arms. A loud crash filled his ears and it was soon followed by lung cutting screams. Tilting his head, he looked in the direction of the noise. Watching with a smile, one of his men began to beat a slave woman to the ground.

Drake shrugged his shoulders and closed his eyes, sighing heavily as he did so. The world seemed to slow down, and Drake took the opportunity to soak it in. Birds softly sang in the trees above and faintly he could hear muffled voices. His attention shifted to a set of footsteps, heavy in particular, making their way towards him. Opening his eyes, he was met with a pair of black boots, before slowly trailing his way up.

"What do you want?" Drake asked. He rose his head, shifting it as he placed his fist under his chin. His sharp eyes glared at the bald man, who crossed his arms over his chest. The man held a letter in his hand. "Who is it from?"

"Aldrich," the man said. Holding out the scroll, Drake noticed the snake symbol pressed into the wax seal. With a sigh, he took the scroll from the man. "He'll be glad to know that we found Aria."

"We're not telling him just yet." Drake took his dagger from its belt, using it to cut the wax seal. The man gave him a shocked look and opened his mouth to object before being interrupted by Drake. "We didn't catch her, how do you think Aldrich will react when he finds out that we had her and allowed her to getaway. Now, go tell the men to prepare."

The man rolled his eyes and left Drake alone. He shouted at the men, screaming and kicking others to begin moving for them to begin their travels. Drake lightly laughed as he watched the man dug the heel of his boot into the sides of one of the slaves. His lips curved into a smile, as he observing the slaves being tugged by the chains around their necks and arms.

He felt the parchment crinkle under his fingers, grabbing his attention. Unraveling the scroll, his eyes scanned the black penmanship etched into the paper. Carefully, he read each word and imagined it in Aldrich's voice. After each word, his heart caved into itself more and more, crushing him.

I am disappointed in you. I thought that you would have served me differently, yet you have failed me. You allowed for this plan to be ruined by knights. Now Lukosea will be on guard. Come to me now, we need to discuss our next move.

"I deserve this," Drake mumbled. Lifting his arm, he gazed at the many tattoos of snakes inked into his skin. He spoke unknown words, whispering as his eyes slowly pulsed a bright yellow.