III. Unmasking of Truth

One by one the needle pierced through Aria's skin as it threaded her wound together

One by one the needle pierced through Aria's skin as it threaded her wound together. The physician adjusted his glasses, looking at Zaydn with a glare out of the corner of his eye. Zaydn didn't pay attention to him though. His focus was searching for the paper on the many shelves before him. He would pull one out, slightly peek at it and immediately put it back.

In a corner, Wolfram sat on a cushioned chair next to the fireplace. His eyes were closed and his chest fell softly with his father's coat over him. The boy clearly had a long night. Next to his side, William stood over him, watching.

Aria's head remained in her hands, as she bent her body down in the chair for the physician to treat her wounds. Her palm had already been bandaged up, yet the pain still lingered. One arm clutched around her bare skin. Her cheeks flushed underneath the layer of dirt and she continued to press her arm over her bare ribs and stomach.

The sounds of tapping, rustling paper, and a crackling fire bounced on the walls. Occasionally the yawn of one of the two guards could be heard, while they stood at the entrance with dazed eyes and the bags that followed underneath them. Using their spears as support, they leaned on their side as their beds beckoned them from the long night.

William had walked over to Zaydn, whispering something in his ear. Aria slightly lifted her head and watched the two men from the corner of her eyes. Slowly, she began to scan the room. High ceilings, fur rugs, a large oak table with at least twenty chairs, piles of papers rolled up papers and books amongst shelves, and guards at the only entrance to the room. There weren't even windows, all that hung from the walls were trophies of wild animals to extravagant paintings.

The physician lightly patted Aria's back and handed her a large black shirt. Currently, she was in nothing but a few scraps of clothing and a layer of dirt to cover her skin. Aria took the blouse from him and pulled it over her head. The Physician collected his things and left the room without a goodbye. Rising from the chair, she finally pushed her hair away from her face and behind her slightly pointed ears.

William and Zaydn walked over to the table, each carrying three scrolls in their hands. They threw them on the large table. Both of them pulled out the chairs and sat in them, examining the scrolls they had just placed down. William eventually stopped and looked up towards Aria.

"Well halfling, are you ready to talk?" William asked. His voice was kind, yet a loud thud could be heard below. William's face morphed with pain, as he slowly turned his head to look at Zaydn, Who flashed him a twisted smile as he spread out one of the rolls of paper onto the table. It was in many unique shapes, with dots labeled with black ink. Some of which Aria knew well, such as the word written in bold ink at the top--Ralium.

"What he meant is, do you feel comfortable enough to talk, miss Aria?" Zaydn asked. He noticed that her eyes remained on the map, which he proceeded to reroll and place to his side. "Do not worry about that, I was simply getting things set up for tomorrow's council meeting. Let's focus on you, so about feeling comfortable enough to talk."