Clipped Wings

{I got this idea from orangefox_515  thank you so much for the prompt!!!}

Trigger warning:
-implied character death

Ship- the request asked for shklance, but it's not exactly mentioned. Sorry

Flight is such a graceful thing. The way wings can slice, and soar through air. The way the wings can simply manipulate the air gliding below then, to boost them up higher. Flight is such a beautiful thing, now that everyone has it. People have been born with wings for centuries now, at first it was seen as natural miracle, but in the later years...being wingless had become much like a disease, or a disability. Wingless is almost like being born without legs, or arms. It's being left behind, as everyone around you flies free with their beautiful feathers. It's a horrid thing to be wingless, one of the worst disabilities to have. Who else but lance to harbour this?

Indeed, lance was wingless, but he couldn't understand why. He was adopted, so that might've added to it. Both of his mum's had beautifully, colourful and strong wings. They were very accepting and loving towards lance being without wings. That's one of the reasons they chose lance, despite the other many children in the orphanage. His mana-Natasha-would often try to cheer him up when he was little. She would make him little fairy wings out of scrap paper and hold on to him as she flew up high, so lance could feel as if he was flying too. Lance would always miss his mana flying around with him. She was such a kind woman. Lance was utterly devastated when he had to leave his mother and his mana. His mother-Rebecca-used to put together little books of all the jobs he could do where he could fly, without wings. They were they best parents a boy could have, when he left for the garrison they couldn't hold back their tears. Their smiles were so sincere, that even through the tears he knew they wanted him to go, they wanted him to be able to fly.

Luckily, teens wings were still relatively small, your wings blossom on your 18th birthday, meaning Lance's 'disability' was very easy to hide. While wearing the garrison uniform, wings had to be tucked in at all times, as to reduce accidents that could be caused by the appendages. Lance hated a room with a boy named hunk. Hunk was a nice enough man, but lance still was far from comfortable with hunk seeing his bare back. Lance would always change in their joint bathroom, he'd refuse to participate in any public situation that required the removal of his shirt, and you can imagine why.

Hunk always assumed lance just had trust issues. He'd accidentally overheard that lance was adopted, so he figured the origin of the fear sprouted from that. That didn't stop him from trying his hardest to gain his approval. He would often wake him up early enough for him to do his routine in the bathroom, and make him small treats like cupcakes, or breakfast when lance didn't have time. Although lance probably wouldn't ever tell hunk his secret, they were very close with everything else. Lance's mothers were almost famous. Hunk figured maybe that could've been a reason he didn't want to show his wings? Maybe he wanted them to be a huge reveal when he turned 18? Either way, hunk fully respected his wishes.

Accept they didn't stay at the garrison until they were 18. One of their good friends, Pidge, assisted in finding Keith and shiro. Once Keith led them all back to his shack in the dessert (after he drove them off a cliff and nearly sent lance plummeting to his death because he couldn't fly) they were able to wake shiro, and figure out how to find voltron. Lance was the one blue opened up to. He was also the one the cave paintings responded to, and he felt so special and proud in that moment. For a boy who had been cursed with this incurable disease, who'd made himself belief he wasn't worth anything above dirt, this was incredible. Keith, the boy that flew high above him, they boy he would stay up late a night to beat, couldn't activate these cave paintings. Yet lance, the one who had always tried so desperately and hopelessly to catch up, was finally the one to lead the rest.