Why am I any different?

{A/N: This isn't really a request but like...I wanted to write it...so merry birth. I promise to get around to the requests soon, I'm working on them so please be patient!!!!}

Trigger warnings:
-pretty sad, yet I'm not sure what to classify it as. Sorry

Everyone has been on edge recently, and for good reason too. With the castle of lions gone, voltron's defences were waring thin. The paladin's had to stay within their lions at all times, leaving no exception. The two most shaken up by this whole ordeal, would have to be lance and coran. The castle had been Coran's home for years, it was his pop's life work. To blow that up, purposely none the less, really took a toll on coran. Sure he was as witty and spectacular as always, but something about his seemed dulled, as if the colours had been reduced to an ugly shell of what they should be.

Losing the castle effected coran greatly, but it effected lance just as much. Unlike coran's semi grieving state for the loss of the miraculous space ship, lance was basically bounding for joy. Needing to rebuild the castle of lions meant stationing themselves on a stable planet that could easily provide protection and resources. And, considering their limited knowledge of all workings of every planet {All I can think of is Rocky Horror} earth seemed to be the obvious choice. Lance was finally going to be able to see his family. To hug his sister, Veronica {open the, open the door please} to pick on his brother Marco {could make a SNK joke but that'd be pretty half assed *K N E E S L AP I N T E N S I F I E S*} and to help his brother Luis {man...I've got no reference} with his math homework. Even though lance was certifiably terrible at math, it made Luis laugh, which was good enough.

Lance had been staring off into space {L I T E R A L L Y} for what seemed like hours now. Just blissfully imagining his reuniting with his loving family, wanting never to ever leave them again. Family was the single most important thus to him in life. It's what I had gotten him this far, and it's what would continue to motivate him to be better. But some fairytales turn twisted, and you have to sacrifice someone else's happy ending for your own.

After maybe a month or so in the lions, they were finally nearing earth. Allura was able to generate a few wormholes along the way, but nothing great enough to get them back to earth in a flash. The small wormholes had to be produced in short, small bursts. Barely able to generate one each week. But they were so close. They didn't even need a wormhole at this point, they'd be down there in a few dobashes. Lance just stared out the window of red. Trying desperately to keep his excitement in check. Spoiler alert: it wasn't working.

Lance had to resist the overwhelming urge to fly ahead of everyone. Red was the fastest afterall, he could've easily zoomed down to earth and be at the garrison by now. But he chose to stay within the group. Sendak had recently stated that he would 'Attack voltron where they are vulnerable'. So the princess had advised everyone to stick together, no matter what.

As much as lance would have loved to scream "SCREW YOU" at Iverson, and fly away to his family in his magical space lion, lance had responsibilities...yuck. First, they had to fill out a report, answer a bunch of questions, take a few mental health exams, y'know, all that fun jazz. Lance had asked at least 4 times now if he could split from the others to see his family, but he was instructed not to, as he'd see them eventually. Of course lance wanted to protest, but what would he say? 'Can I please go see my family? It's probably been a few years too many.' She'd either make a smart ass comment, or just straight (gay) up ignore him!

Lance had a bad feeling about this though. He pushed it aside as nerves but he knew the fear delved deeper than that. He couldn't exactly explain what it was, just something seemed off. As if they had mixed up the pieces in a jigsaw, but they still fit anyway. It was terrifying, and complicated, and like those jigsaw pieces, didn't actually add up. But lance was just a goofball, the comic relief, simply a replacement, no one believes a word of the comedian. So all lance can do is stand there, with his familiar fake smile and nod.

It had almost been a week since they had landed on earth, but lance was still not allowed to go see his family. Even after bringing legitimate proof of alien life, including 3 aliens, the team were put under intense testing to check their mental state. Legally, the garrison had to do this every each mission, there was a large debate whether it was truly considered a mission or not though. Lance, Shiro and Keith were found harbouring large levels of anxiety, and were instructed to stay at the garrison for a few days. No outside contact, no distractions.

Lance's bad feeling wasn't subsiding. He told the princess as soon as he was able, but she just dismissed him, assuming it was a trick to get to see his family quicker. So lance waited another day. Another cruel day where he dreamed for the embrace that had fallen just out of his reach. Where he longed to be wrapped in the calming scent of cinnamon and spice, instead of dread and space. Until voltron received a call. A call that shook Lance's already crumbling world. It was Sendak, along with Marco, Veronica and Luis. Lance couldn't see his mother or grandmother in the frame. But from the utter peril displayed on his sibling's faces, lance could already guess what had happened. Luis, barely 13 years old was on the ground, shoulders shaking to support him as he coughed up blood for what would've had to have been the 4th time.

Veronica and Marco were huddled further back. Veronica hugging her little brother close, carefully shielding his head with her battered arm. "You should have listened to my warning petty paladins. Now it's their lives...or everyone's" the video cut off shortly after that, ending with a peril infected shriek from Luis. His voice so hoarse and groggy, lance almost sobbed at that alone. The only thing lance had ever been afraid of was his siblings getting injured. And now, as it was happening right in front of his eyes, he couldn't do anything.

"We have to go. We have to go now to save them, who knows what will happen if we wait any longer?!?" Lance tried desperately not to scream. He wasn't hiding his tears well. Allura grabbed his arm, staring at him in a somewhat threatening manner. "Lance, we can't go rushing into battle. We need to think this through logically." Lance almost choked at allura's poison lathered words. She probably didn't mean it in that depriving manner, but it hurt lance nonetheless. "No, we need to save my family! Did you see them? They're well on their way to the devil and you want to debate on their deaths?!?" If lance was ever calm, every shred of that was long shattered by now.

"We can't think of this recklessly lance! We must consider what is better for the universe!" Allura yelled back to lance, her grip on his arm becoming tighter on each lie that fell from her lips. "What if it was alfor...?" Lance mumbled, barely audible as the tears flooded out his voice. "What?" The princess questioned threateningly. "What if it was alfor here huh? You wouldn't give a shit about 'the greater good of the universe' you'd rush right in to save your father, no questions asked!! You'd be doing exactly what I'm trying to do here, except we'd follow along with it! So why the am I any different? Why do you feel as if you can push me down and around. Why am I nothing but a toy, a replacement to you? Why don't you take me seriously? I have a family allura! We all do! It may not be perfect but it's mine. I don't care what you say, I'm getting it back, with my bare hands if I must!"

With that lance ran off. Keith's wolf sprinted behind him, leaving Keith, Krolia and romelle to follow. Soon they all ran to help lance, all except allura.

{A/N- Yo! So I've had that idea in my mind for a little while and I am aware it is not good. Uhmm yeah I tried but most of this was written at stupid times during the night or morning when I was running on pure self hatred. Thanks!}

Bubyee~