Tough Love

{this oneshot was requested by @clairebearluvutoo
  ...I really know nothing about omegas and alphas and such so...I had basically no clue what to write for this one. I hope you enjoyed it, nonetheless!}

Trigger warning:
-depression/anxiety symptoms

Ship: hance

Recently, a new social construct has been placed around people. Sure, it was always a part of them, and it was always going to be a huge part of their lives, but now it seemed as if it were taking a turn for the worst. Alphas were seen as a leader, they were widely trusted by almost anyone, the second you realised they were an alpha, there was the feeling of reassurance towards this person. There was just this bubble of safeness around them. Hunk was an alpha, which usually calmed lance down in time of need. When he would stress too much about something not under his control. When he had delayed working on his assignments to the literal last minute. When he'd become homesick, even though the garrison wasn't that far away from his home. Hunk was always such a comfort to him, it was in their nature really. Except, the whole castle of lions thing really shook lance up. He was overwhelmed by the amount of alphas, just in the ship.

It was obvious that Shiro was an alpha, with his amazing leadership skills and undeniable strength. Coran and allura were alphas too, which wasn't that hard to believe either. Coran did seem goofy at times, but overall, to lance he was extremely wise and strong. Maybe not physically, but he found coran always giving him the strength emotionally. Ok so, maybe it wasn't that many alphas on the ship, but to lance it felt like everyone was. Be started to become embarrassed of his lower omega status. Alphas were just so amazing and beautiful. They could lead a team, defend it, almost die doing so, and leave the situation with a smile. That is what lance aspired to be. But how could he? There wasn't yet a way to change your status alpha wise, I'm sure if there was there'd be widespread argumentation over who gets to be what. So, having said that, even if since did find a magical way to change the status, I'm certain they've hidden it from the claws of the public.

Shiro had seemed extremely off recently. He'd be quicker to judge a situation, he was too impulsive and decisive when it came to a life threatening decision, he was no longer soft with his speeches. Usually his speeches were as if they were executed by your father, slow but wise, making sure not to upset the child but teaching them their lesson. Now he was a strict teacher, lance hated to say or even think it, but it seemed like they were barely even people to Shiro anymore. Shiro never yelled at anyone besides Slav. The only time you would hear him yelling was at himself or if someone was risking what they didn't need to. But lance didn't see any of those things when Shiro went off at him. He was only suggesting a better situation for the circumstances, Shiro wasn't taking anyone's ideas but lance was the only one he yelled at. Why? Had he done something specific to upset him? Was his status getting in the way again? Shiro couldn't simply be having a rough day. If you looked into those eyes you would've known. If you saw the fury in his features you would've been terrified too.

That night lance couldn't sleep, his thoughts didn't allow him too. All his fears, his insecurities, his hatred, they were forming together in his mind. They were creating something lance always hated. He had experienced this many a time before, but the feeling always seemed to fade and he never remembered what exactly was so bad about it. As soon as he was back in this mindset, all the past times came flooding back, and he hated himself. He hated his goofy smile, he hated the the way he flirted just to feel wanted by someone, something. He hated the jokes and the teasing he showed towards his fellow paladins. He hated himself. He couldn't put it into words {wow. Coincidence. Neither can I} he was just completely engulfed in the abyss of hate towards himself. He kept thinking back and forth to what he could've possibly done wrong, when he couldn't find it, he became more frustrated. Anxiously flipping back and forth back and forth to all the memories he's had of Shiro, and the reasons for Shiro to hate him. All the reasons he hated himself.

Lance couldn't tell how long this lasted, but he assumed it was a while since by the time he had finally fallen asleep out of exhaustion and calmed his thoughts to a moderate level, his alarm clock went off. Lance slept through his alarm, since he was practically passed out dead at this point. His alarm clock was usually set pretty early, so he could probably get some sleep in before he needed to get to the team, but he'd need time to put make up on to cover the massive eye bags forming. He ended up sleeping a lot longer than wanted, but undeniably less than needed. It was around midday when someone finally came in to wake him up, thank god it was hunk. Hunk was soft, hunk was kind, hunk would understand Lance's situation, as he'd been dragged into it before. Hunk slowly opened the door to reveal lance curled in a tight ball on the floor, his hoodie wrapped around his waist and chest tightky, and his hands covering his ears, almost piercing the skin behind them. Even though lance was swaddled in almost 5 blankets, that he found around his room, he was shaking violently.

Hunk dropped the plate of food goo he was carrying and rushed over to his distressed friend. He slowly rolled lance into his hands, lance tried to resist, afraid of the sudden contact, but the drowsiness kicked in and took over, his arm slowly falling to his side and his breathing becoming heavier. His breaths were shallow and laboured, as if the air was a poison he was addicted to. Hunk had only seen this once, and he was the cause. He'd said something offhanded to lance, he hadn't even thought about the consequences, and now he couldn't recall his mistake. He only remembered waking up to lance being in this state again. It was terrifying, he didn't know what to do. He'd called 3 different teachers who all said he was just having a nightmare and to leave him be. At one point, hunk had given up and called Lance's house phone, Lance's little sister picked up and she, knowing how to deal with this almost perfectly, recited twinkle twinkle little star in about 7 languages before she told him about her day. The only difficult part, was he couldn't wake lance up.

He hadn't tried personally, but when he asked Lance's sister if he should wake him up or not she said something along the lines of "you wake him up and you'll sleep forever." So naturally, hunk assumed waking him was a terrible option. There wasn't much he could do when this happened. Sadly he didn't know how to sing twinkle twinkle little star in more than one language, so he settled for softly singing be our guest in French. He'd learnt it because he had always been fascinated in beauty and the beast, his favourite character was belle, he used to dress up as her, and want to be her. He sat there in the floor, in the utter comfort of Lance's room. Lance was almost sitting in hunk's lap by now. Hunk not minding, just gently stroking his back, and slowly, reassuringly running his hands through Lance's hair. Hunk sang as many songs as he could possibly think of before his buddy stopped shaking.

Once lance had stopped shaking, hunk picked him up gently and placed him down of his bed. He tucked him in, and kissed his forehead without thinking. He cursed at himself under his breath once he'd realised what he'd done, but smiled fondly and his sleeping friend. He left as silently as he entered, leaving Lance's breakfast—well lunch now—on his bedside table. While hunk was leaving Lance's room he spotted Shiro. He was walking down the hall with that stuck up leadership Shiro had recently, he reeked of arrogance. Not the type of fake arrogance and pride lance usually had, no, This was that one jock on the football team that was an absolute ass. Yup, that's the only way to describe Shiro's walk. Hunk had easily pieced the puzzle together. Lance had always had extreme self esteem issues. His father always told his to act 10 times more powerful then you feel, that way you gain respect, and trust. Lance had basically lived by this rule. You could tell just by looking at him, well only if you really looked.

Shiro's hand rested on the handle of Lance's door. Hunk grabbed Shiro's arm before he could open the door. "Don't you dare go inside, he's gone through enough." Hunk gently moves Shiro's arm away from the door, standing firm in front of it. "I just want to talk-"
"Well he doesn't." Hunk stood his ground, arguing with Shiro for a few minutes, finally gaining what he wanted when Shiro turned to leave. Hunk walked back into Lance's room, figuring he would've woken up from the commotion outside and would be a little shaken by now. He was correct. Lance was sitting in the middle of his room, legs crossed, staring at the floor. "I-I'm sorry..." his broken voice didn't reach far, but hunk heard it fine. "Sorry for what buddy? You didn't do anything wrong." Hunk walked over to him, crouching down and giving him a tight hug. "Thank you..." was all Lance said before the steady rhythm of hunk's heart lulled him to sleep.

{Word Count: 1682}

{A/N- yes, I am aware of how crappy and short that was. I am sorry for this but liek I had almost no clue what to do. I still hope you liked it either way! Thanks for reading!}

Bubyee~