Confined inside oblivion

{Thank you to @smexy_naruto for the idea!! I hope it's to your liking!}

Ship- Shance

Lance had noticed that shiro had been acting strange lately. Ever since he saw him in that weird astral plane thing, but it didn't make sense. Why did shiro call out to him. Sure, he's his right hand man now, red Paladin and all, but that didn't mean shiro couldn't call out anyone else. Also, why did he stay there longer than everyone else? Even allura left the plane before he did. It was starting to really bug him. Shiro didn't usually make those types of decisions either. The shiro he knew and loved was kind and gentle and would think his plans out carefully to benefit the team. Right now, shiro wasn't any of those things, it worried lance immensely. Lance had always looked up to shiro...but recently he was starting to think it was something other than admiration. He had felt this way before, about guys are girls, but with shiro...was it really ok? He'd already gone through so much? He wouldn't be able to put up with Lance's stupid feelings all the time.

No, there was no time to think about that right now. Right now he needed to train, and fight, and defend his team from the galra...oh and himself of course. Although, something a little off had been occurring recently. Every now in a while, lance would look in the mirror and his hair would appear white for a split second, then without a doubt, maximum 10 minutes after, there'd be a flash of blue throughout his vision, blocking his field of vision for a good minute or two. He'd just recently glanced in the mirror by accident, so he had to be cautious, confine himself to his room until his attack was over. He'd asked coran previously about it, and taken an eye test. It wasn't like the ones on earth, where you read out letters from a poster in the wall, this one was highly advanced and didn't even require lance opening his eyes. It scanned his optical activity almost immediately and recorded it down to the most minuet detail.

Lance used to often lose his vision on earth from time to time, it wasn't the best to begin with, but the optometrist said they'd never seen anything like Lance's eyes. On the surface they were functioning normally, and that was to be expected since the flashes weren't happening during the examination. Until he saw a mirror during one of his many inspections. He almost screamed at the sheer shock, desperately babbling over his words, trying to explain what was happening to him. The optometrist took the opportunity to experiment, now that they knew the cause. He'd forgotten what he'd seen in the mirror that day, what had scared him so much no longer seemed significant, and that was scary.

The optometrist has prescribed him special glasses. They weren't a particularly strong prescription, but were instead made to assist him in sleep and drain the stress from his eyes. In times of war, he needed these more than ever. It would be difficult to explain his condition to everyone, a process he'd much rather not go through, so he decided to wear his glasses exclusively in private. It wasn't the best decision, seeing as he barely had a moment alone, but it was better then the teasing and questioning.

Lance was writing out letters again. He would write these whenever he had a moment alone. Each one of them were addressed to his family. Truth is, his mother was pregnant when he left for space. Lance's little baby brother or sister would be due any day now, so the letters were one way of grounding himself, making him feel like he was there with them. He wrote them all in Spanish, his mother language, so that way even if one of the team members found them, they wouldn't be able to read them. He could just say it was something he thought of and needed to write down so he could research it back on earth, no biggie. He'd written about 12 full letters now. Each letter containing so many thoughts and emotions. The barrier of language put him at ease, making him write his thoughts, insecurities, experiences...it was wonderfully calming. He wrote wearing his glasses of course. Everything he owned reminded him of home, and he was starting to realise that more and more. His glasses were a dark blue that faded into a cool deep black, the rims around the lenses were a mute aqua, casually complimenting his chocolate skin. His small fringe was tied up with one of his mama's clips, they were in his jacket, since he kept them as a reminder.