At Least One

{Important ish mini A/N- Hi so, I'm salty and sad, so this is before season 7 and 8. There's no specific time in which this is set, but it's still during the war. Also keef is still away with the blade}

Ship- Klance

Trigger warnings:
- mentions of blood
- descriptive battle scene
- mentions of death

Non-stop explosions of fierce, threatening fires engulfed the planet. Mercilessly dragging away the planets residents, confining them to a world of harsh, unforgiving flames. Each helpless cry and plead pounded through Lance's ears. Each scream, cry and shout, drowned out by the unforgiving onslaught of galran soldiers. He had to keep moving, just to keep his feet on the ground, eyes in front of him, focused on the attacker.

How the hell did they expect him to do that? Keith and Shiro were supposed to be the ones doing this. Charging in, ready for action, not a second thought to the cries around him. How was he expected to ignore them? To act like thousands weren't dying around him. All he was doing was dancing around the enemies. Little more than a distraction to keep the soldiers eyes and ears focused on him, to help in saving these poor aliens.

He felt useless. He felt as if he wasn't doing anything worthwhile. He'd been given strict orders, instructions, guidelines. The team had trusted him on the front lines while they protected the people and escorted them to safety. But he couldn't do it. He couldn't stand here, swinging his blaster around, ignoring the hundreds dying around him. He wished he could close his eyes. Just so he didn't have to see that dying mother holding her son like he was the most important thing in the world. He wished he could cover his ears so he didn't have to hear the strangled cries of parents being teared away from their kids. He wished he couldn't smell, so he didn't have to taste the blood, fear and abundance of loss circling through the stormy air. He wished he couldn't feel the squelching of bloodied dirt beneath his boots.

He wished he could switch positions with allura, or hunk. He longed to get these people to safety. But that wasn't what he was assigned to do. He was told to stay there and fight against the galra. He was told to stay at his post, not to let the cries manipulate him.

They hadn't had a battle this bad in a while. Nothing as terrifying as this one.

Some families tried hiding underground, left their children there safe, because they knew this battle would be tough. The thought that these families knew that not all of them would be coming back alive, that hit lance hard. It made his knees buckle and his vision blur. He couldn't imagine the fear and regret inside these civilians, as they helplessly clutched their children, begging these monsters not to hurt this kids.

But these galran thrive on destruction. They're not robots or machines like all the armies before. These are elite warriors, some thousand year old beasts. Terrifying creatures that've faced much more dangerous creatures than the ones before them. These civilians were nothing but a brisk morning workout for these monsterous soldiers. Killing the thousands of families was just a joke to them, nothing more than a bit of fun.

The soldier smiled down at lance. He couldn't last much longer, he knew sooner or later he'd pass out. The adrenaline churning through him blocked the pain from consuming him, yet he could still tell that it was there. He glanced briefly at a small girl a few metres behind his opponent. Luckily, these species have a very title like exterior, with some camouflaging defence mechanism. A surge of energy pulsed through lance realised, they hadn't noticed her yet. He allowed himself a swift glance back towards the ship, they were almost ready to take off. The soldiers had some sort of super hearing, so Pidge had to turn the coms off, as a precaution in case they tracked them down. They had fairly poor vision from a great distance away, so at least they had some advantage there. Pidge was supposed to transmit a signal that resembled static as soon as they were ready to take off, and lance had to fake surrender and make a run for it.