Chapter Nine

Point of View: Virgil, First Person
Timeline: Present Day

Patton and I sat across from each other in silence.  We were still inside the pillow fort - the cookies eaten, no more fighting between us, and...

It was w r o n g.

"Hey, Dad," I started.

Patton's head tilted to the side in confusion at the hesitation in my voice.  "Yeah? What's up kiddo?"

"Are... are you going to forgive Logan anytime soon?  You guys... that was a big fight," I admitted.

Patton immediately frowned at Logan's name.  "No," Patton said, but he wasn't looking at me.  "How could I?"

"Is this really because he didn't let you go to the Dark Palace and get killed?" I asked, still a bit dumbfounded.  If I had been in Logan's position, I would have made the same call and I don't blame him for making it.

Patton sighed, bangs falling over his eyes and he didn't bother to fix it.  "That's definitely a part of it, kiddo.  Not that only thing, but yes, part of it," Patton paused, looking up at me.  "But you think he made the right call that day."

"Yes," I admitted.  "It could be even worse, Dad.  I don't think he should've just let you go walk to your death."

Patton pointed a stern finger at me - stopping me on my tracks.  "That's the problem," he said climbing out of the blanket fort and leaving me behind.  

Stunned, I sat there for a moment before following him quickly.  I climbed out, hurried standing to see Patton, fingers wrapped tightly on the edge of a light, wooden, rounded table - so tightly, his knuckles were white.  

"Wait what did I say?" I asked, clueless.

Patton frowned at me,standing to face me, crossing his arms over his chest.  "I know I act like a kid a lot of the time, but I'm still an adult.  I'm still able to make my own decisions, Virgil.  And I could have lived with the consequences of going to the Dark Palace, whatever might've happened there.  But the fact that I am now forced to live with Logan's decision?  Because he didn't think I was smart enough or because act like kid -" Patton let out a sigh of frustration.  "I'm not stupid."

"No one said you were," I said softly.

Patton shook his head.  "You didn't have to kiddo."

"Dad I -"

"Don't apologize," Patton said, waving a hand.  "It's true.  You think that I can't make the 'right' choices - that's why Logan is in charge of most of the decision making.  Because I don't act like an adult most of the time doesn't mean that I can't be responsible for my decisions.  I'm the person you guys come to when you feel sad - and don't get me wrong, kiddo, I love making you guys smile.  But... that's not all I can do, I hate that you guys see me that way," Patton said, eyes watering.

"Dad," I whispered.  "Of course we know that.  I'm sorry if we made you think that," I apologized, feeling my cheeks heat up in embarrassment.

"Nothing to be embarrassed about, you all do it," Patton said, sighing again.  "I - I just wanna prove myself... ya know?  And whenever I get the chance, you all treat me like... a kiddo.  Even though I'm older than all of you.  And even though I'm not helpless, you call treat me like I am."

"Why... don't you try and talk to him, work this out between you too?  You guys can be honest with each other.  He only wants the best for you, Patton.  He would never intentionally hurt you."

Instead of making Patton feel better, it apparently made him feel even worse.  "Why are you trying to make me forgive him?!"

"What does being mad at him accomplish?" I tried, hiding my clenched fists in my jacket pockets.