Chapter Fourteen

Point of View: Virgil, First Person
Timeline: Present Day

"W-Waitwaitwait," I stammered, unconsciously rising to my feet - fingers pressed harshly against my temples.  "You can bring Roman back? I - I d-d-don't - how?" I pleaded, already feeling the familiar burn of tears behind my eyes.

Fairy Godmother didn't say anything for a moment, merely setting her tea cup on the glass and gold coffee table. 

"A-And if you c-c-can bring R-Roman b-back, why haven't you d-done it already?" I continued, noticing the way her lips pressed tightly together - Roman did the same when he was worried...

Fairy Godmother sighed, undoing the clasp of her periwinkle cloak and waved her hand, the cloak taking it up itself to hang itself on a hook nearby the door, leaving Fairy Godmother in her gold-sparkly shirt.  She waved her hand again, and the shirt changed in the blink of an eye to a simple white button up with a three-quarter sleeve - pink bowtie still in place, but now a simple light pink.

Fairy Godmother ran a hand through her white hair before letting on one final sigh, leaning back against the white arm of the couch.  "Yes," she admitted.  "It's possible.  However," she admitted.  "It's not going to be easy, if you decide you want to at all."

I frowned, crossing my arms stubbornly over my chest.  What did she mean by that?  "Why would I NOT want to bring him back?" I said, reseating myself back on the couch - eyes narrowing suspiciously.

I swear if she lied -

"Well it's still bringing someone back from the dead," she admitted.  "If it was easy, everyone would do it."

... Touche.

"What do I have to do?"

"You have to understand," Fairy Godmother continued, light eyes filling with concern.  "I know that you want to bring him back, love, but perhaps that isn't what's best for Roman."

"He's dead.  How could this possibly get any worse?" I all but snarled at her, starting to get annoyed.

Fairy Godmother raised her eyebrows at my snarky attitude.  I didn't care, she just told me that she could bring him back and then told me it might but be the best idea!  What was wrong with her?!

"I can see why Roman loves you," she dodged, grabbing herself a another stupid cup of tea.  "I practically raised him, you know.  He didn't go to the Mind Palace for years - instead, he lived here with me," she explained.  "Roman is like a son to me.  And I would love absolutely nothing more than to have him close to me, love.  Do you really think that I would tell you this is if I genuine wasn't concerned about the repressions?"

"... What... repressions?" I asked tentatively.

Fairy Godmother waved her hands, starting to explain.  "Sides aren't like humans, love.  When sides die... it... a works a little differently."

" ... What the heck does that mean?"

"I said that you can bring Roman back - and it's true, love.  There are two ways to bring Roman back," she continued, holding up two fingers.  "The first way, I can bring him back myself.  But... there's a price."

I tensed at that.  "What kind of price?"

Fairy Godmother's eyes dropped at that, hands resting neatly on her lap. "It wouldn't be so much as bringing Roman back to life as much as... trading his soul for someone who's soul is equal to his."

"Oh," I squeaked out, feeling the color drain from my face.  "That means... trading my life... for his."

Fairy Godmother nodded slowly, hesitantly waiting for my reaction.