Chapter Eight

Point of View: Virgil, First Person
Timeline: Present Day

I gently tapped on Patton's door, careful to not drop anything in the process.

No response.

"H-Hey Pat?" I asked, wincing at the way my voice sounded.  I sounded about as good as felt... which was relatively like... crap.  "Can you open up?" I tried weakly.

Silence.

"Pat? Are you in there? Please, if you are please open up," I said, resting my head on the door, eyes closed.  Why did I think he would answer?

Silence.

I bit the inside of my cheek.  "I brought cookies...?" I tried, glancing down at the tray in front of me - a plate covered in chocolate chip cookies with two hot chocolates.  "Chocolate chip? I - I just made them, and they're fresh..." I tried, voice cutting out.  God, if Patton was turning away fresh, warm chocolate chip cookies just because I brought them, then he really must've be mad at me...

If only I knew what for.

I sighed, setting the tray on the floor.

"I know that you're in there, Dad," I said.  "Please don't be mad at me anymore, please."

The lock suddenly clicked and I felt my eyes wide in surprise, not entirely expecting it to open.  

Maybe chocolate was the key to everything.

I gently pushed the door open, taking the unlock as permission.  I peered into Patton's messy room, scanning the area for him.  I blinked at the massive piles of just crap, eyeing the massive fort made out of pillows and blankets.  Bingo.

I carefully made my way over, gently pulling aside the opening to the fort.  "Can... Can I come in, Pat?"

There was a soft noise from within, which I took as a yes, making my way inside - cookie tray in hand.  I closed the blanket/pillow fort entrance behind me.  "Pat? I - I made some cookies... chocolate chip," I said quietly.  "If... you wanna come out from your... little pillow hideout."

The pile of pillows didn't move.

"Pat... are you mad at me?" I asked, finally addressing the elephant in the room.

The pile moved a little bit.

"Is... is that a yes?"

The pile of blankets didn't move.

"Look," I sighed, shaking my head and letting my bangs fall into my face.  "I - I heard your argument with Logan.  And... I was... a little confused," I admitted.  "What were you to arguing about? Things have been tense between you two since I got back and I... have no idea why.  Please, I want to help."

The pile of blankets finally moved, revealing a tear-streak faced Patton underneath.  His eyes dropped to the cookies, then back up to me.

"Do you remember," he started.  "The day we slept in the living room? Because the nightmares I was having?"

I blinked surprised.  "I - yeah.  You... you haven't mentioned them since I got back... I guess with all the craziness I just forgot to ask how you are.  Are - Are you still having them?" I asked, guilty picking my nails and avoiding his eyes.

Patton avoided my question, reaching forward and grabbing a cookie - munching on it quietly.  "Deceit is my counterpart, as you know," Patton said quietly.  "And... part of me can easily tell when someone is intentionally lying - did you know that?  So now that you know that, how about you start telling me the truth," he finished, voice quiet but firm.

My mouth opened to speak, to say anything but I could feel the pressure building behind my eyes and I quickly closed it.

"And I am only going to ask you once,  Anxiety.  Who killed Roman?" he asked, eyes locked on mine, searching for my answer.

And I broke.

I sobbed, wrapping my arms around myself.  I didn't have to say anything.  Patton already knew.

Still he waited for those awful words to leave my lips.

"It - It - It was me," I sobbed.  "I don't understand, Dad.  I don't understand how it could have been me, but it was me, it was me, I did it, I killed Roman, and gosh it hurts, please help me, Dad.  I don't understand, I don't understand.  How could I have I done that to him, how could I have enjoyed - " I broke off as Patton crawled out of his pile of blankets, wrapping his arms around me and I fell into them gratefully.

"Shh," Patton said quietly.  "Shh," he said, holding me as I sobbed.  "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry..."

I buried my face into his shoulder, crying until my tears we spent.  Even after they were spent I still held myself close to him, finding comfort in familiar - in Patton.  Patton, good, sweet, loving Patton.

"The nightmares I was having," Patton said once I had semi-pulled myself together.  "You thought you were hurting me," Patton reminded me.  "But... you were never hurting me in those nightmares.  You were.. more than hurting Roman," he admitted.

"In my nightmare - it was single, recurring one.  You... you killed him.  I... I could see it in your eyes, the guilt and when you told us I knew that it was- ," Patton broke off, merely holding me tighter.

"I had to hear it from you, I didn't want to believe it was you, Virge.  But the more and more I realized that... it was.  But I couldn't understand why you were so upset if you... why you would do that if you really loved him.  And at the funeral I - I couldn't understand.  But... now I can see... this wasn't really you at all," Patton's eyes watered with tears.  "And I'm so sorry for what I did to you, kiddo.  I should've been there for you.  And I'm so, so sorry."

I couldn't get my voice to respond, so I merely hugging him tighter, which Patton easily returned.

"I love ya, kiddo," he said.  "I love ya so much, kiddo.  Never forget that.  And I hope that one day you can forgive me - for making you suffer alone, I'm so sorry, kiddo."

"Love you too, Dad," I managed, not letting go and letting my tears roll down my cheeks, more than likely smearing my makeup.  "And of course I forgive you," I choked out.

Neither of us said anything for a while, hugging - only taking small breaks to grab cookies, before quickly returning to the comfort of the others arms.

"Well find them, we'll find the people that did this to you," Patton said firmly.  "We find the people who did this and we'll get answers," Patton promised.

I was silent for a moment.

"I never wanted to be the bad guy," I sung softly.

Patton looked at me, pity the only thing left in his eyes.

"But that's just how the story goes."

____________________
*awkwardly hums Ultimate Storytime*

...

*hands out all the cookies*

- Max :D