Chapter Nineteen

Point of View: Virgil, First Person
Timeline: Present Day

I smirked, stirring my straw around in my milkshake as Roman continued telling his story about plans he had for his book and bunch of other possible new book ideas that I've already heard a thousand times before. Still, I found myself staring at the way he told the story, face animated and passionate.

And I realized that I could listen to the same story a thousand and one times, just for him.

I rested my elbows on the dark brown, round table, taking another sip – the taste of strawberries and sunshine making me feel oddly... calm.

... Maybe that was the problem.

Why am I so... relaxed? I've been feeling odd all morning, but my anxiety never takes a vacation day.

But even I couldn't find something wrong with what was in front of my eyes. It was just me and my husband, having a milkshake  on Roman's lunch break at my favorite place in town – everything was... perfect.

... Maybe a little too perfect -

"W-Why are you doing this Virgil? I don't understand -" Roman whispered, eyes wide with betrayal and pain. His eyes were locked on me, eyebrows scrunching together in a sad attempt to make sense of it all.

I didn't say anything right away, talking a couple steps forward and circling his figure, tinted electric indigo in the unusual lighting. Roman squirmed uncomfortably, eyes locked on mine and slowly filling with more confusion every second.

"Aww don't feel bad, Princess," I said coldly, meeting Roman's eyes with a smirk. "The act was a good one, and I'm not surprised you fell for me during it – seems like you're not the only one who got Thomas's acting ability."

Roman stared, mouth opening and closing pathetically. "W-What are you s-saying? Y-You're not making any sense, Virge," Roman begged, yanking weakly on the cuffs as if he actually expected me to release him –

What the heck was that?!

That – That seemed so real, it was almost – almost like a memory -

Why was I thinking thoughts like this? I should be paying attention to Roman, not falling into another series of dark flashes of thoughts that I can't get out my head for some reason.

They're awful, they Roman bleeding and crying – pain written all over his face and his eyes pleading but what's even worse is how it doesn't even seem to bother me –

"Virge? Virgil are you... okay?" Roman asked, stopping mid-story, noticing that something had suddenly changed.

"I...," I stopped. "I don't... know," I said quietly, eyes dropping my milkshake as I watching the straw carved a path of swirls.

"Do you... want to talk about it?"

I quickly shook my head, plastering a smile on my face. "Nah, I'm fine. Probably just a bit tired, that's all."

"Virgil -"

"Roman -"

"Please talk to me, don't shut me out again," Roman said quietly, setting down his own chocolate milkshake on the table between us, nearly forgotten. "Please."