Six

Cindra:

I wasn't sure how long I had been out, hours perhaps days? Only that I woke up to Mikayl's grim face and an empty room of cots and medical supplies. I cried as he told me the news, as he said I was chosen. I didn't earn it—I didn't win.

Mikayl roped his arms around me, dragging my battered body into his chest. I tried to contain my emotions, the resounding sobs, but as soon as I laid my head against his shoulder I lost it. He stroked my arm, carefully avoiding my injuries.

Stepmother didn't say a word when I arrived to pack my things the next evening, not a sound echoed from her or my stepsisters as I left for the guardian's chamber. Not that I minded, I would rather be dead to them anyways.

Mikayl stood waiting outside the castle gates, a beaming smile at the ready as moonlight glimmered off the strands of his hair. "You'll do amazing, Cin." He took the heavy pack from me, releasing it to the charred wheat field.

I could hardly look at him, not without tears resurfacing. "Save the bullshit. You and I both know I don't deserve this," I shook my head. Disgusted, disappointed, despicable...all the d's you can think of. That's me.

"You do," he lifted my pointed chin with his bandaged knuckle, searching for the confident woman he knew was buried within. "Prove yourself if you have to, but despite what you're hearing or seeing around the court—you've earned this."

I needed to switch subjects or he would never drop the inspirational speech. "Will you wait for me?" I fluttered my lashes at him.

"Probably not," he teased, jabbing me in the ribs.

Trying my hardest to not wince, I quipped, "you really think you're something else, don't you?"

Mikayl's voice softened, his loose knuckle brushed against my jawline, "I'll miss you."

"I won't," I lied, a smile already breaching my lips as his neared mine.

"That was painful," he whispered, his warmth touched the corner of my mouth.

I exhaled heavily, he knew my weak spots. "Or was it well deserved?" I faltered, swallowing hard.

I didn't care who was watching, if he didn't stop soon...

"Definitely," he mumbled against my lips. "I'll see you soon, Cin. Promise." He pulled away, smile faded and a line of sunlight building in the corner of his eyes.

I didn't want to say anything more in fear of ruining this—us. The last thing I needed was Mikayl to ignore me too. I kissed him one last time, letting my love pour into him. I pressed myself against his torso, wrapping my arms around his neck as I hoisted myself up.

Mikayl's firm hands gripped the bottom of my thighs, a soft moan exchanged between us. "Is this how best friends say goodbye?" he asked, gently nipping my lip before pulling away.

I couldn't resist, not when the set-up was too beautiful. "Yeah," I breathed, hopping down from his hard body. "Make sure you give Wilamis a sloppy one when you leave him for duty," I taunted, bending down to retrieve my things before walking through the metal gates.

I knew he was watching me walk away, I knew because just before entering my new home, I looked back too. A friend, a best friend, a more than friend...whatever we are, I missed him already.

The castle was different than I imagined. I always thought it would be made of gold and marble, that's what I get for believing a drunkard's tale. Every window was stained with history, every tapestry masterly crafted. I hadn't realized I fell behind until the servant cleared his throat.