Fifteen

Cindra:

Spying isn't great, especially when you're spying on your High Lord and his Nesta. Luckily, I wasn't the only one. I caught the Lady of Autumn standing beside a carved pillar that overlooked the garden of magnolia trees.

Maybe she wanted them to be together as much as me? Or maybe she was just as protective?

The Lady of Autumn didn't glimpse in my direction, but her words were definitely intended for me, "what are you doing sneaking around the noble's balcony?"

Shoulders back, nose raised, I got this. "Protecting my High Lord and you?" I flatly replied.

Smooth...I definitely got this.

Her glassy eyes flashed to mine before returning to her son, "there's no need for you to protect him from Nesta."

"How do you know?" I asked, trying not to push my luck like I have been with the Vanserra's.

The lady's face relaxed, her natural beauty springing forward, "a mother's instinct."

We watched as Nesta forced the High Lord to lean into her. It was her way of helping him along the gravel path, I guess. Color had returned to his complexion, a rosy blush from whatever Nesta had just whispered into his ear. He paused by the nearest magnolia tree, wincing as he reached for the vibrant pink and white bloom.

"Do you think she loves him?" I wondered, not expecting her to reply.

"Love is a complicated thing," the Lady of Autumn responded. "She brings out the good in my son. His smile, his laugh—it wasn't until she entered his life. I owe her a debt that I do not know how to repay."

Nesta slapped Eris' hand from plucking the flower. I couldn't make out the words they were exchanging but he stopped his attempt as she directed them to the nearest bench. He beheld her as she observed the rows of flowers, a brilliant grin plastered on her face as she looked up to see more enchanting blossoms.

It had to be magic, how else would they be able to bloom in this court?

The High Lord sent a fiery dagger at Nesta, forcing her to duck. With narrowed eyes, she darted into the trees. Hiding behind the nearest trunk as she waited for him to approach her. Although she had given him a glare that would curdle my blood, in hiding, she was shining. A light so pure that the darkest of forests wouldn't stand a chance.

She jumped out from the tree line, her arm lit up like a bonfire as she shot several spheres of fire towards him. I gripped my sword, quickly relaxing my hold as the weapons turned to smoke before it even came close to the High Lord.

Resting in the center of his palm, grew a flaming magnolia. His worn smile stretched as she looked from him to the flower and back at him once again. With restrained movements, I could tell he was hurting and trying his best to not make it so obvious. The High Lord's hand lowered to hers, placing the fiery blossom onto her skin.

They loved each other, they had to. I shook my head, respectfully disagreeing with her, "love may be complicated but if it's worth fighting for, then what can stop it?"

"Fate, guardian. A cruel and violent twist of fate." The Lady of Autumn turned away, giving her son and his Nesta their privacy.

I stayed behind, watching as Nesta's hand didn't pull away from his.

As her captivating eyes focused on the evolving bloom.

And as my High Lord regarded her with tender longing...and regret.