Nine

Cindra:

"Who's Nesta?" I inquired with a devious look. I heard him last night, laughing and repeating her name in his sleep. I thought he had a late-night guest—not that I would judge. As I tiptoed into his room, dagger at the ready, I saw him laying fast asleep and mumbling away.

I shoved the scythe into the dirt, taking a much-needed water break. We had been on this farm helping a widow with her late husband's chores since sunrise. Except now, the sun had left us hours ago and blisters were forming in unusual spots of my hands.

The High Lord stabbed the ground several feet away with a heavy plow, his cream tunic matted down with sweat. "How do you know that name?" he countered, wiping his forehead with the back of his hand.

"You talk in your sleep...a lot."

He didn't bother replying, instead I followed his narrowed gaze at the coils of smoke and fire filtering into the night sky. Before I could think of what to do or say, he grabbed my shoulder, winnowing us to the nearest fire.

Chaos erupted as the pub exploded. Men and women lined the streets, the ones who did not escape the blasts laid still while the others were pulled to safety. Through the cloud of smoke, I could see the bartender holding his lifeless husband, crying into his neck for a miracle.

The amber in the High Lord's irises glowed, "get the villagers out, Cindra. Some will be trapped in buildings or caught in the alleys, send them to the fields, to the castle—I don't care."

"Where are you going?!" I yelled, realizing the direction he was heading was not the same as mine. He wasn't running towards the second blast, he was winnowing towards the building of screaming children.

Oh my cauldron...

Eris:

I ran and winnowed and ran until I made it to the Autumn orphanage. My body slammed into the door, breaking it into a thousand splinters. Adults were either burned or bent over, most of them dead from the smoke inhalation.

My eyes didn't tear up, my lungs didn't fight—smoke did not affect me as it did others. The family mantra pushed itself into my head. In fear, in faith; we ignite. In blood, in body; we burn. To earth's end, to the next world's call; ashes will fall.

I pulled child after child from the burning building. The light in my amber eyes intensified to match those of the flames, an ability I've had since childhood. I didn't burn, I didn't falter in the flames. You can't if you become them.

I inspected each room one more time, hoping that I saved all those I could. Heading to the last row of bunkbeds, I saw a little boy. He had glued himself in the corner, his knees tucked beneath his chin.

"C'mon!" I yelled, winnowing towards him. A heavy beam fell between us, the fire roaring at the impact. The boy was shaken with fear, his cries growing louder with each crack of the fire.

I focused on the burning wood that needed to be removed before he could escape. My veins glowed with liquid fire, my teeth clenching as I lifted the beam. "Go!" I ordered the child.

He finally looked up at me, his opposite colored eyes filling with tears. There wasn't enough time for him to escape through the front door or a window.

"Grab my hand," I outstretched a shaking palm, letting my flames retract so he could grab hold.

The child with wild eyes reached for my hand, squeezing tightly so that I wouldn't let go. The roof cracked, the opposite end of the room began to fall. Another quick glance and no bodies were left. "Do not let go," I cautioned, winnowing outside to where the large group of shaken children remained.

Cindra had caught up to me, focusing on leading the survivors to safety as I ordered her to do. I didn't see the child with two colored eyes following.

Did he let go? Is he lost in the shadows? I turned around, maybe he was lingering beside me?

A silver blade pierced my skin, my eyes widened as the assailant twisted the knife into my chest. Blood spewed from my wound and mouth. My attacker said nothing while pulling out the dagger, I couldn't see the bastard's face.

I looked down at the hole beside my heart. Crimson shot up my throat, drowning me till I fell on my side. Every breath felt heavy, a gurgling noise drowning out the children's shrieking.

"No!" Cindra screamed, launching her knife into the air.

I watched the man fall to the ground, checking the body as she plucked the silver dagger from his spine. Cindra's running footsteps blurred in and out as I rested my head onto the fading embers.

"You need to winnow us back to your chambers, my lord."

I could barely hear her over my fading heartbeat, over the list of regrets that were replaying in my head.

"You will not fucking die on me. Not today!" She yelled, pressing her thumb into my wound. "Now winnow!" she barked as my blood gushed into her hand.

I cursed, yelling at the top of my lungs as we winnowed back into my chambers. I couldn't make out Cindra's shouting, only that I wanted it to stop. I felt myself drowning, unable to recognize any of the faces or voices around me as they all blended into one.

I slurred my request, staring at the chandelier of faelights.

A hand held my shoulder, an ear nearing my lips.

"Nesta," I murmured before fading.