Eleven

Eris:

I felt the presence of someone beside me, the weight of their body next to mine. My eyes fluttered open, a sphere of fire at the ready. If I had another attacker, I would not be taken by surprise this time.

Her head laid on top of my upper thigh, her hands tangled within mine. I could hear her soft snores, feel the warmth of her flames caressing my arm.

"Nesta?" I whispered, barely audible for anyone but me to hear. My weapon of fire sunk back into my calloused skin. Am I dreaming again? Have I really gone mad this time?

My eyes flickered to the figure who stood in my doorway. Cindra's brows wiggled with exaggerated effort as she stared me down. Not out of concern or jealousy, but of excitement.

I pointed to Nesta, needing confirmation that she was real. That I wasn't the only one who saw her. Please let this not be another dream.

Cindra nodded, a slow smirk stretching across her face. She inched forward, lifting to her tiptoes and leaning slightly to the left to get a better view of the beauty beside me.

I mouthed "when" for when did Nesta arrive.

Cindra attempted to answer but I didn't understand her. Apparently reading lips was not a talent of mine. I raised my free hand higher, still pointing to Nesta and mouthing "when" once again.

"Last night. I've never in my life seen a Gryphon," her voice was higher as she attempted to whisper.

For cauldron sakes...

I felt Nesta stir, her head adjusting against my thigh. Strands of golden-brown waves were tossed over my covered legs, her mouth slightly jarred to the left. Her flaming hand moved to my hip bone, sleepily clutching on to me.

I saw movement out of the corner of my eye. I turned my head, peaking between the curtains of velvet to face Cindra. The enthusiastic guardian was now making grotesque hand and mouth insinuations. My eyes widened, my pulse thundered as I shooed her away.

Cindra walked back to the door, opening it just enough for her to slip through. I could see the movement of her armor as she quietly chuckled to herself. Without another word, she slammed my chamber door shut. The sound of metal clanking echoed across my room.

I silently cursed her name as Nesta jumped to a seated position. Her cheek stained red from laying against me. The creases of my sheets imprinted across her skin. The rising sun provided a warm, honey-colored halo behind her.

Absolutely mesmerizing.

I lifted my body in an attempt to greet her. Pain surged in my chest, shock waves of agony rippling through my pecks and down to my abdomen. I hissed in pain as I fell back onto the mattress.

"You're alive," she breathed, raising to her feet as if she couldn't believe it. The circles beneath her eyes had darkened since I last saw her. And her figure, my eyes drifted to just below her collarbone then snapped back to hers.

I thought of being stabbed in the chest over and over to try and rid myself of the threat beneath my trousers.

Gods-damn it.

"For now," I answered, glancing to the bandages near my heart. Scarlet lines had formed from my poor attempt to sit up. I watched as a single trail of blood curved over my ribcage, dripping onto the cream sheets.

Nesta scrutinized the hole in my chest, "do not say that," she blurted. Grasping the inside of her arm for comfort, she followed another line of crimson.