Twenty-Two

Cassian:

I stopped training the moment Az informed me she was back in Velaris. He had winnowed into me, slamming me into the wall with a hearty laugh. Asshole.

I thought I would never hear the news. She came back. I wasn't sure why, I wasn't sure what caused her to finally leave the Autumn Court.

But she was home now.

I flew to the townhouse as fast as I could; her room was empty. I tried to sniff out her scent, but she wasn't here. Where could she have gone? Maybe she was out looking for me?

Taking my hunt to the skies, I searched through every street of Velaris. Where the hell could she have gone? Velaris was large but I should have spotted her by now, at least felt her.

The longer I flew, the more my unwarranted thoughts invaded. I fucked up. I'm fucked up. But maybe if we could get passed this...

Nesta, Nesta, Nesta...

I turned my head, my syphons illuminating. I would be ready to see Ronan again. Instead I saw what looked to be fire burning its way through the ocean. A flickering sphere beneath the surface. I squinted as if to see more clearly. Flying closer, I saw her—Nesta.

"Nesta!" I snarled, racing towards her, "shit." I crashed into the water, holding my breath as I swam to her.

As her eyes caught mine, I could see it. The fire within fading. I pulled her into me, propelling us to the surface.

I held her against me as I swam us back to shore. She coughed up water, choking the entire way. "I got you, Nesta. It's going to be okay," I desperately assured her.

The closer we got to shore, the worse I felt. Did she do this on purpose? Was she trying to die—did I drive her to this madness?

Once Nesta's feet could touch the ocean floor, she struggled against me. At first, I thought she was attempting to stand. Or maybe still choking.

She wasn't.

Her icy hands pushed and pulled at my arm to free herself. "Get off of me!" She screamed, smacking my protective arm away, "get off!" Her wheezing continued; she could no longer yell at me, her voice too far gone.

Releasing her to the crashing waves, I felt the aftermath of her steel words. She tripped over her long, indigo dress, falling to her knees. I tried to help her up but she swatted my hand away.

"Nesta, I'm sor..."

She stood up and slapped my chest, her face carved with outrage. Instead of meeting my eyes, she stared at my tattoos. One slap turned into another and another until she was beating her fists against me. The harder she punched, the more she whimpered. Her strained breathing only made the noises worse.

I didn't touch her, I didn't say a word as I let her release whatever was held within.

Her pounding fists slowed to a stop, her shoulders shaking as her head collapsed into her hands. Nesta's long fingers spread into her soaked hair. She released one heartbreaking cry and then nothing.

"Nes...?" I croaked, reaching for my mate.

She pulled away, making it clear she did not want to be touched. Nesta rubbed her nose onto her soaked sleeve, amber tears still dripping off her chin. She turned away from me, heading back towards the city.

"You didn't even notice you fully submerged in dark water," I attempted to distract her like I used to. She ignored me, her spine straightening the farther she walked. "Do I have Eris to thank for that too?!" I yelled at her.

Maybe if I pressed her buttons, that would spark the fire between us again. It would bring out one of my most endearing qualities, my ability to distract her.

Nesta stopped, her entire body stiffening like she ran into a wall. My words sinking in, she lifted her head, looking over her pointed shoulder. Her nose raising in disgust as our eyes met.

I saw it then.

The last shred of hope we had disintegrate. No light in her ocean eyes—nothing. Only the tomb that I created.

I broke her. Not just on the battlefield, not through the constant fighting. No, I broke her when I pushed her away and still expected her to fight for me, for us.

And now it was too late.

She did not cry or tremble. Instead the pillar of marble continued on her journey. I was afraid to ask where she was going. If she planned on coming back this time. Or if this was her leaving for good.

The thought of her going back to the Autumn Court, to Eris, infuriated me. How could she leave us for him? I may owe him my life for saving her, but I sure as shit didn't need to like him. I certainly didn't need to share her with the bastard.

He was not her mate.

He was not her home or her friend.

He was just a High Lord with a taste for dangerous women.