Fourteen

Nesta:

I waited until he fell asleep, until his breaths were even before I rested my head beside his. My back was aching, just beneath my jagged scars. I knew I wouldn't hear the end of it if I had asked him.

I could use a woman in my bed, what a scoundrel.

Lying beside him softened the pain in my ribs. I couldn't explain it, how his presence soothed the heartache. Maybe because he was my best friend; an easiness to our relationship I had never encountered before? These perpetual thoughts didn't matter, only that he's alive and well. Happy.

My eyelids grew heavier and heavier until I could no longer watch over Eris. I needed to rest so I could function tomorrow. Who knows what dawn will bring us.

A gust of wind made my teeth chatter, the bumps on my skin rising. I scooted closer, resting my head against his warm shoulder. "Goodnight, Eris," I mumbled just before falling into a world that balanced between dreams and nightmares.

I stood on the shore, the same one I've dreamed of since waking up from the autumn war. The place where salty waves and thick grains of sand meet the endless rows of aspen and red maple trees.

Inhaling the salty, crisp air, I felt myself surrender. "I love it here," I admitted, catching his fiery hair out of the corner of my eye.

Eris stepped forward to be beside me. Concentrating on the crashing waves, he asked, "is this the view from my window?"

"Yes," I replied, the curve of my lips enlarging. I wouldn't be able to explain it; why seeing an infinite amount of blue mended my broken heartstrings. It just did.

He stole a peek at me, "it's breathtaking," he agreed.

I turned away, drifting along the shoreline. The hem of my dress soaking into the frigid waters. I willed the fire from within to coil around my toes, just as he had taught me in the copper tub.

"I can tell you have something to say."

Letting out a heavy sigh, I bent down to pick up a defective obsidian shell. "I hate that you read me so well," I remarked, gently brushing my fingers against the ribbed edges.

Eris caught sight of another black shell, one in perfect condition. "I thought women loved a man who picked up on little details," he implored, handing me the sea gem.

I analyzed the two shells, both so beautiful—whole and broken. Commenting on the rarity of finding two onyx shells, I finally answered him, "I cannot speak for all women, we're complicated creatures." I admired our findings one last time before releasing them back to the ocean.

"As long as you admit it..." he joked, rubbing his untamed beard as he waited for me to slap him.

"Miscreant."

"Siren."

We stopped only once so he could roll up his pant legs. He raised his hand, inviting me to step further into the sea. I reached for him, letting him guide me to where the water came up to his shins. Releasing his hand, I lifted my dress up. In hopes that I would avoid further restrictions since I was much smaller than him.

His legs wrapped with fire, extending all the way up to his thighs. As did mine. "So, fireheart, tell me your tale of woes," Eris commanded, a signature smirk in place.

His term of endearment made my knees weaken. This was merely a dream and he was only a figment of my imagination. So, what did I have to lose? "Only if you hold your judgement till the very end," I requested, turning to face my friend.