Eighteen

Eris:

The massive copper doors to the throne room opened away from us. I raised my elbow, letting mother take my arm before we stepped forward. Instantly, I realized why I hated balls so much.

The staggering number of onlookers examined all those who entered the room. All silently judging the apparel and family wealth of whoever was next. The nobles clearly stuck out against the crowd of villagers. Their formal clothes were more vibrant in color and design. Their noses raised in the air.

It didn't matter though, soon my court would learn to treat everyone with the respect they deserved. I'm positive my father was rolling over in his grave after all the changes I've made thus far. I could only imagine if I fixed the gap between rich and poor, how devastated he would be. Rotten bastard.

I surveyed the room, searching for her. I didn't know what she would be wearing or if she was already here. Maybe she didn't come at all. My nerves screamed at me to find her. I needed to find her.

"She'll be here," my mother whispered as she softly squeezed my bicep, "you will know when she arrives."

I ignored the nobles by looking ahead, not giving anyone special treatment as my father once did. "And how will I know?" I said beneath my breath, in fear of someone hearing us.

The room of jolly drunkards and gossiping patricians all hushed at the sight behind us. Their wandering eyes focusing on something or someone.

Would Bronywnn truly dare to come? Or is Rhysand finally paying me his promised visit? Carefully I turned to face at who captivated the audience.

Nesta stood in the middle of the entry way. Her wavy hair intricately decorated with a golden ribbon and teardrop pearls to form a crown. Cheeks flushing, a shy smile forming as she caught my wandering eyes. Her collar and shoulders bare of material and decoration.

The dress...by the mother above and the cauldron below...

I stepped closer, my heart and lungs unable to keep up with one another. The gold and copper gown hugged every curve of her body. The beaded bodice pressed her assets upwards, unveiling another weakness of mine.

My mouth went dry as I stopped in front of her. I couldn't think of what to say, what to do. Gods-damn it, she is the most beautiful creature I have ever beheld.

Her smile grew, illuminating the entire room. "You shaved," she began, reaching towards my hair before resisting completely, "and you cut your hair."

"You're enchanting," I uttered, raising her hand to my lips. I kissed her knuckles, releasing an orb of fire into her silky skin. A sign of affection I have never given to anyone before.

I could hear her breath hitch as the piece of my flame climbed up her arm. I spotted the red-orange glow dance to her neck then cheek. It faded before reaching her plump, ruby lips.

Inhaling the intoxicating magnolia scent; whatever she asked of me, I would do it. If she wanted me to drown in the ocean, I would. If she wanted me to shatter the cauldron, I would. I didn't care what the consequences were.

None of it mattered, nothing but her.

Every piece of me wanted her. Not to just ravage her in ways that only my fire magic could make her climax but to tell her that I have loved her since the moment I saw her. I should have told her sooner. I should have said something when she woke up.

Eris, the fool. Nesta, my queen.

Nesta glanced up beneath her lengthy lashes, destroying me with one look, "have I rendered you speechless, Eris?"

"Will you dance with me?" I asked, speaking before thinking. The rest of the room had faded from view, too enamored by my fallen star to notice anything else.

"But you're injured," she protested, her neck and cheeks deepening with bursts of red and pink.

My smirk had turned into a grin, my jab in full force, "if you're that bad of a dancer, you can just say so."

Nesta's cool demeanor didn't last as she caught me giving her another once over. "Prick," she whispered, radiating with joy. Her smile touched from ear to ear...the same pointed ears she once hid.

The dark circles beneath her eyes had disappeared. Her pale skin had darkened to a rich honey tone from all of our walks in the afternoon sun. Even her thin frame had bounced back to her natural curves. She no longer mirrored a broken soul; how is that possible in such a short amount of time?

"Enchantress," I whispered, still not letting go of her hand.

I guided her to the open section of the dance floor. I swore my pulse was singing her name as I pulled her into me, not leaving any space between us. Sliding my hand to her lower back, I waited for her to slap me.

She didn't.

Lifting my palm to meet hers, I guided us through several dances. Even as the music stopped, I did not let go of her. She commented on my lack of hair, how she admired the change. Mother was right...again.

"Eris...?" Nesta murmured, her lips reaching up towards my ear.

The pounding in my chest persisted as I felt her body tighten against mine. "Yes, Nesta?" I breathed, brushing the tip of my nose against the brim of her ear. Just as I had done in the copper bath.

She loosened another breath, her breast pushing further into me as she stood on her tiptoes. "I can feel the blood seeping through your shirt," she said, gently rubbing her thumb against the back of my neck.

Every inch of me felt like I was on fire; truly melting from her touch. My lips brushed along the point of her ear, my affection becoming harder and harder to control, "I don't want to stop."

"Dancing?" she uttered, tilting her head just enough to see my reaction.

"Holding you," my voice barely audible, even to me. I wasn't sure if she heard, only that a spark of fire circled in her blue irises.

She released my hand from hers, igniting the flaming magnolia, "do you think this will be the last time?"

"I don't know," I professed, "but I do not wish to let go of you until you ask." I could feel her thunderous pulse, her breathing becoming more ragged.

The fiery blossom vanished as she nuzzled herself into my chest. "Take us to the balcony," she quietly commanded.

I knew which one she was speaking of, to the one I pushed us off of to avoid our painful death. I guess I was willing to trade one death for another if it meant she wouldn't be butchered in front of me. At least we would go together.

I summoned the shadows, feeling her nails dig into me the faster we traveled. I briefly closed my eyes, leaning my forehead onto hers, "you have nothing to fear in the dark, when you are as bright as every sun in the sky."