Twenty-Four

Eris:

"Anything?" I asked, focusing on the maps strewn across my desk. After a moment of silence, I glanced up to my guardian.

Cindra shook her head, unable to report that they've captured Bronwynn yet again.

I knew she was just as frustrated as me. It had been weeks since Nesta left, even longer since we saw Bronwynn. I wouldn't be surprised if he returned to Hybern. I also wouldn't be surprised if he was just waiting for the right time strike. It was better to expect every possibility than only one.

I returned to the layer of maps, taking notes of the different territories within this court that have already been searched. I even gave warnings to the surrounding courts of Bronwynn's deception. He would try and charm them, form an alliance if he wanted a shot at this throne. It's what I would do.

Accidentally, I knocked over a stack of half written letters. I leaned over, picking up the parchments addressed to Nesta. I couldn't bring myself to finish or send any.

"How are you?" Cindra asked, eyeing one of the letters in my hand. She scooted a plate of spiced apples towards me.

I shuffled the papers, glowering at the plate of food, "what's this?"

"Believe it or not, those are apples," she sarcastically replied. "You haven't eaten in a while," she stated with a heavy sigh, chastising me just as badly as my mother. No wonder they were getting along so well these days.

Using the same excuse as always, I pushed the plate back to her, "I've just been busy. That's all, Cindra." In truth, I haven't felt like eating.

Cindra snorted, shaking her head in exasperation, "I don't believe you."

I let out a frustrated exhale; I was trying to do better with my emotions. Peeking up at her, she gave me a knowing look. Yes, this was about Nesta.

Biting down on the inside of my lip, I debated what to say. How to say it. Feelings could be so tedious, no wonder my father and brothers never bothered with them.

Cindra leaned against the wall, checking that her nails were sharpened accordingly. "If I have to wait all day, I will. I'll even have Mikayl stop by. Maybe force him to strong hold you into speaking."

"Mikayl would not go against orders, he wouldn't risk the death sentence," I laughed half-heartedly. He would, for her. I knew of his feelings, of her feelings—they would both defy whatever orders necessary to save one another. It was a good thing I didn't need much protecting.

"I don't know," she sung, a smirk in place, "I think I'm worth dying for."

"I'm sure he agrees," I acknowledged, examining the pile of letters and maps. No matter how busy I had become, I never stopped thinking of her. I never stopped wondering what would have happened if she stayed. "I did find—"

Cindra didn't let me switch subjects. She walked over, nudging the plate closer. The cool porcelain touched my elbow. I could just imagine her trying to force me to eat. Her hands holding my jaw open as Mikayl shoves a spoonful of gods know what into my mouth.

Getting the hint, I took a bite of the largest slice. Crunching down on the juicy fruit, enjoying the rich cinnamon on top. Fine, she wins. It was delicious.

She waited and waited until I ate the entire plate of apple slices. I have never felt more like a child. Wait, I have. When she, Mikayl and my mother at one point all had to dress me due to my injury. Cindra looked satisfied at the empty plate but now she wanted me to talk—to express my feelings.