Thirty-Seven

Nesta:

Holding Rhea close to my chest, I knocked on the door of Elain's townhouse. It had been three months since Rhea's introduction and less than a month since I last saw Elain. Paranoid, I peered over my shoulder and scanned the sky then out towards the horizon. Knocking again, harder—louder, than before. "Elain," I urged, feeling a strange panic bubble in my chest.

Elain quickly opened the door, her voice barely a whisper, "Nesta—"

"—I needed to see you," I interrupted, pushing my way through until I stood in the tiny entry way. Small due to the fact that there were dozens of plants hanging, vines trickling down to the floor. Where even more plants with blue and copper buds sat, as rare as they are beautiful.

Her private garden, an oasis, tucked neatly into the streets of Velaris. On her last visit to the cottage by the sea, she had mentioned of possibly moving. I hadn't realized she meant it until Bea sent word.

As she shut the door behind us, her milky eyes scanned my features—like she was able to truly see me, every part of me that lie beneath the surface. Guilt suffocated my heart, we still hadn't been able to fix her sight. My mistake, my decision that led to her not being able to see the flowers she loved so dearly.

Fixing my gaze on the nearest miniature pink rose, I said, "you look flustered. Did I come at an inconvenient time?" Daring to look, I knew she wasn't really flustered but her cheeks were fading from a bright red. Did I interrupt her? From what? Or maybe it's a who and not a what?

Elain adjusted her tsavorite-green chiffon gown, her blush returning, "no, no! Not at all. I knew you'd be coming." She held out her hand, motioning for me to head to the sitting room.

"The beauty of being a seer?" I asked out of breath as I lugged Rhea along. Holding my elbow out, I felt Elain wrap her delicate arm with mine. Walking three steps to the right, we entered a chamber of emerald green—an assortment of green plants and flowers—even her dress, all green.

She doesn't belong in the Night Court, neither of us do.

Taking a seat on the nearest chaise, she nervously smoothed out the non-existent wrinkles of her dress, her eyes falling to the floor, "the curse of it sometimes."

"Comparing me to a curse dear sister?" I pursed my lips in an attempt to not smile but my voice gave it away. It was easy with Elain, much easier. I didn't have a history of treating her terribly nor a lifetime of apologizing to do like Feyre. I could unwind, relax—much of the way I am with Cindra and...and Eris.

Elain snorted, her laughter bringing the rosy blush back to her face, "no, comparing myself! Tea?"

"Please."

"Jasmine?"

My stomach rioted at her question, "I haven't been able to drink jasmine tea since my pregnancy. Even now, if I smell it, I gag." A pot of chamomile tea and two clear cups appeared on the nearest side table.

"You must be having a marvelous time in Velaris then. Jasmine is literally everywhere." When I didn't answer, she quickly added, "well, I know you didn't come here to talk tea. I also know you've traveled quite far if you have little Rhea with you."

I did, I flew from the cottage, careful not to wake Rhea on my landing. Elain held out her arms towards my daughter, wanting to hold her precious niece—her only niece.

Hesitantly, I gave Rhea to Elain. She had cracked her eyes open enough to see who she was being handed to and then swiftly went back to sleep. I hardly let anyone hold her, even Elain.