CC7 - Part 3

Camila was running down the left side of the field; her quick feet were handling the ball perfectly as she dribbled around the first defender. It seemed impossible but she was even faster than she had been at the U-17. Even our most experienced defender couldn’t stop her and was next on the brunette’s list of people to scissor her way through.

If I wasn’t so angry with her, I would definitely be in awe just like everyone else. All my teammates watched the young talent skillfully making her way towards the goal before she passed the ball to our striker who only needed to slot in.

“Good job!”, our coach yelled from the sidelines and I wanted to punch someone right now.

This was my turf. My team. Who the hell did Camila think she was? She couldn’t just waltz back into my life and claim the one thing that meant more to me than anything else. If I couldn’t enjoy soccer anymore then what was left, honestly? My anger was just fueled by my teammates also clapping and encouraging the newbie in her admittedly impressive efforts. She would make the team. There was no doubt in my mind about that. She was way too good and anyone would be an idiot not have her play, even if she needed to shape up a little.

The practice game at the end continued and the next time the try-out had the ball, I ran over and tried defending her for the first time even though it wasn’t my job. I knew her better than the others. There was at least a chance I could anticipate her next move so she wouldn’t get passed me. She hesitated shortly and I went in but she somehow managed to chip the ball over my foot. Her skills were insane for someone who hadn’t played professionally in years. But I was furious and ended up tackling from behind so she wouldn’t get through.

Camila fell on the ground and I heard some other players gasping because of my rough foul.

“Lauren, take it easy! You could have hurt her”, our captain rushed over as the younger girl sat up in pain. She looked at me in a blend of disbelief and anger.

“It’s not the U-17’s anymore. If she can’t handle a tackle then she shouldn’t try out for the big leagues”, I spat and felt the brown eyes piercing through mine. She stood up quickly and I knew she was close to blowing a fuse but held back. Someone tugged at my jersey and I noticed Kristie dragging me off now.

“Stop”, the blonde scolded but I heard the coach yelling my name now. This was not good. I ran up to the grey-haired man and was reminded of a similar instance a few years back.

“Do we have a problem, Lauren?”, he asked firmly.

“No, coach.”

“Are you sure? Would you like to explain to me then why you almost broke your former teammate’s ankle right now?”

“It…was an accident. I was just late with the tackle”, I lied because I could have just let her pass me but I took out my frustration in a dangerous way.

“I don’t know what’s going on with you today but it needs to stop. Part of the reason why I want her to join us is because I know how you used to play together. We could really use that magic you two had back then”, my coach explained and I wanted to scream when he talked about our “magical play” together. “Is there any reason I shouldn’t consider Camila for this team?”

“No”, I said quietly after a little hesitation.

“Ok then. Hit the showers, we’re done anyway.”

I grabbed my water bottle and walked back to the locker room. This day just needed to end. At this point I wasn’t sure who I was angrier with: Camila, for coming here or me for caring so much. I took my usual spot and sat down on the bench while everyone else came in now. My eyes focused on the young mom who was chatting with some players. However, I noticed a little limp in her walk before she sat down and met my gaze.