CC7 - Part 28

I had made it. Out of New York that was. Although the temptation to stay for the trial had been huge, I was back at my apartment a few hours after having a conversation with Camila. Coming home felt good…and horrible at the same time. Because I knew I wouldn’t see her again.

Thankfully Kristie and Luis had agreed to come over and have a movie night to distract me. My close friends were already sitting on the couch and arguing over what movie to watch. I took my seat next to Kristie and couldn’t care less what they would decide on. While they bickered, I looked at my phone and saw that a new video was uploaded to the uswnt YouTube channel.

I gulped at the title: “Camila’s hidden talent”

The thumbnail showed my ex-girlfriend sitting at a piano and my heart began racing at the sight. I was very aware that I shouldn’t click on the video. It would only cause more turmoil in my head. Taking a deep breath, I heard Kristie’s voice suddenly.

“Lauren? Hello? What are you doing? You need to decide what we’re going to watch and you better pick my choice”, the blonde said but I was still focused on the small screen in my hand. I grabbed the tablet being connected to the big TV from my friend’s hand. She assumed I was browsing through the movie list but I had different plans. I looked for the video I had found on my phone and clicked on it, so it began playing on the flat screen TV, Camila’s voice filling the now silent room.

“Hey everyone. I’m Camila Cabello and this is my hidden talent.”

My pulse quickened the second I started watching the newest segment. I recognized her clothing. It must have been shot at the hotel in New York these past couple of days. Instead of wondering when it had been filmed, I tried to focus on the young woman appearing on screen.

“Actually, I don’t think it’s talent but Dinah made me do this”, she laughed nervously. “I don’t usually sing in front of anyone but I thought I’d share this with you. Next week someone else has to share a hidden talent of theirs but I’m going first. I don’t play the piano very well, and my voice isn’t the best but I’ll try. Please don’t be too hard on me.”

I couldn’t help but smile at how nervous she seemed. The brown eyes left the camera lens and looked at the keyboard in front of her. I had seen the piano in the hotel lobby and it confirmed my initial idea that she had done this just a few days ago.

“This is actually a song that I wrote myself. I wrote it a very long time ago…around the time I was on the U-17 team”, she revealed and my heart skipped a beat. I noticed Kristie and Luis looking at me concerned but I remained calm…until Camila began singing.

[ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clCQSCZlAYM ]

“What if I said I'd break your heart?
What if I said I have problems that made me, me?
What if I knew I would just rip your mind apart
Would you let me out?
Maybe you can stop before you start
Maybe you can see that I just may be too crazy to love
If I told you solitude fits me like a glove
Would you let me out?

[Chorus:]
You ought to know where I'm coming from
How I was alone when I burned my home
And all of the pieces were torn and thrown
You should know where I'm coming from

[Verse 2:]
What if I said I was just too young?
What if I said I was built on bricks of carelessness and crumbs
What if I said I'd be gone before I could come
Would you let me out?

[Chorus]

[Bridge:]
Your sought out ways
My own, my own
But you turn me away from my low blows
Oh, you should've known”

The video stopped and I was frozen. I felt tears rolling down my cheeks that I hadn’t noticed until I became aware of my surroundings again. Quickly wiping the warm droplets with my hand, it was too late because my friends had seen them. Kristie grabbed my hand and Luis was sitting next to me before I could protest. His hand rubbed my back comfortingly and made me tear up even more.