CC7 - Part 25

Lauren’s POV

It all felt like a dream – or a nightmare more fittingly. I had just returned from the hospital and was now back to the hotel room, packing my suitcase. Under any other circumstance, I was sure the hotel would have thrown me out since I had vandalized their bathroom. Explaining the family situation causing my meltdown, Normani had managed to get their pity apparently. I was able to stay for another night and so was my close friend.

Not only had Normani taken me to the hospital, she had been there the entire time while I had gotten stitches on my hand and an IV to sober up. She was one hell of a friend and I was sure I didn’t deserve her. The bandage on my hand was already annoying me. Thankfully, I had a high tolerance for pain and the stitches weren’t bothering me. It was uncomfortable but the pain wasn’t too bad. It was nothing compared to the pain I felt when I thought back to what had happened in the bathroom a few hours ago.

The look of fear in Lara’s eyes was forever embedded in my brain. It sent a cold shiver down my spine every time I recalled it. My pulse was going through the roof once again, as my mind wandered to the fresh memory of me screaming at Camila and completely breaking down in front of her. With everything else going on, I had succeeded in screwing up the one good thing in my life. There was no doubt in my mind that I wouldn’t hear from Camila any time soon; and rightfully so. I wouldn’t want to talk to myself if I was in her position.

I heard a knock on the door and assumed it was Normani who had gone out to get dinner for us. My heart dropped when I saw the familiar hazelnut orbs meeting my gaze. Was this real life?

“H-hey”, I stuttered clearly surprised to see Camila standing in front of me.

“Hey”, she replied softly. “Can I come in?”

“Sure”, I nodded after realizing that I was blocking the way with my blatant staring and not moving. “I thought everyone else had left.”

“Dinah and I rescheduled our flights”, the younger one informed me while entering the room. “We wanted to make sure you’re ok.”

I was shocked. Sitting down on the edge of my bed, the other brunette pulled out a chair and took a seat opposite of me. I was too shaken to speak and only watched as her eyes dropped to my injured hand. It wasn’t conscious but I tensed up instantly. The reality of what she had seen earlier was starting to sink in.

“How is your hand?” her voice sounded hoarse for a moment but still soft.

“It’s ok. Just a few stitches”, I answered nonchalantly because I didn’t give a shit about my hand right now.

“Does it hurt?”

“Not really”, I replied vaguely and felt so incredibly vulnerable under her scrutinizing gaze. The concern was blatantly obvious and a rather long moment of uncomfortable silence ensued. Nervously shaking my leg, I finally mustered up the courage to speak up. “I don’t know what to say to be honest. There is nothing I could possibly say to explain to you how sorry I am. I am so ashamed…I can barely look at you.”

“I know you never meant for this to happen”, Camila’s tone was gentle and encouraged me to go on.

“You don’t have to tell me but…how is Lara?” I asked carefully and our eyes locked for a second.

“She just fell asleep”, the single parent rubbed her temple shortly. “Dinah is with her right now.”

“She hates me now”, I concluded in a quiet voice and looked at the floor, mortified.

“No, of course not”, Camila responded but sighed in despair. “But I have to admit she’s pretty shaken up.”

“She’s scared of me, isn’t she?” my voice trembled simply uttering those words. The left-midfielder hesitated with her answer and I looked up to see her reaction. She didn’t have to say it. I knew it by just looking at her that I was right.