CC7 - Part 12

I was rudely awakened by someone banging on my door. My eyes opened lazily and it took a few seconds to realize what was going on. Sitting up on the couch, I wiped some dried up saliva from my mouth. Nasty, I thought to myself but couldn’t care less at that point. The first thing I focused on was one of the beer bottles on the coffee table in front of me. I took a big gulp from the flat beverage before the banging continued.

“For God’s sake”, I mumbled and got up reluctantly. Dragging my feet to the front door, I opened up and saw Luis and Kristie as the ones responsible for the noise. Without a word I turned around again and made my way back to the sofa that had been my ‘home’ for the past two weeks.

“Hey, good to see you too Lauren”, Luis said full of irony when both had followed me into the living room. “I am doing great, thanks for asking.”

“What do you want?” I asked poignantly while my closest friends sat down with me.

“This is an intervention, ok”, Kristie answered and I rolled my eyes instantly. “You haven’t left your apartment in two weeks. There is no way you will live off of pizza and beer forever. You had your time to wallow but it’s time to get up.”

“I’m good here, thanks”, I replied indifferently and took the beer bottle in front of me.

“That’s…disgusting”, the blonde scolded so I took an extra big sip. Even Luis knew about everything concerning Camila and her departure two weeks ago by now. Ever since watching her leave, I was stuck in this mode of denial, regret and almost depression. I couldn’t believe she was gone. Soccer season was over and I had nothing to do except replay that moment at the airport over and over in my head. Her telling me it had been too late and kissing her for the last time were the most vivid images.

“Let’s go to that diner that you always go to with that rude waitress…what’s her name…Ally. I’ll buy you some real breakfast”, Luis suggested but I was once again overcome with another memory.

“That’s where I took Camila and Lara the first time we met up here in Boston. It’s the reason Lara kept calling me Pancakes”, I recalled and sighed loudly.

“We get it, ok? You’re heartbroken and everything reminds you of Camila right now but that only means you have to make new memories”, Kristie tried to motivate me.

“Exactly”, Luis agreed of course and scooted closer in what seemed like excitement. “There is this party at my friend’s house tonight and there are a bunch of sorority girls from different colleges. Come on, Lauren”, he nudged my shoulder and I met his gaze slowly. “Just us picking up girls like old times.”

“I’m really not in the mood”, I denied his proposal although I knew he meant well.

“Don’t be so stubborn. You just need a night out to remind you what else is out there”, the Brazilian kept going. “And Lexi is going to be there too. She already asked if you were going and you told me she was super kinky last time you hooked up. Why not let her distract you?”

“I don’t want to screw some random girl at another party, Luis”, I responded more forcefully but frustrated at the same time. He sighed now as well and there was silence for a few seconds. “And besides, Lexi is a freaking lunatic! There is a difference between being kinky and being genuinely scary”, I added jokingly about one of my past hook-ups and saw both of my friends smiling a little. “Look, I appreciate you trying to cheer me up but…I don’t feel like going out. All I keep thinking about is Camila and the fact that I screwed up my chances.”

“Then what are you still doing here?” Luis asked and I kinked an eyebrow.

“What do you mean?”