Counter Measures

Clicking of heels was the only sound. Down the long hallway of grey stone and piping on the walls, a woman walked with purpose. Black hair was swept up in a tight bun, making her already sharp facial features harsh and unforgiving. 

Dark eyes framed by long lashes trained on the door at the end of the hall, guarded by two men in uniforms. The pin on her black suit jacket, and the face the men knew too well, had them stepping aside for her to shove through the heavy metal door. Right into a huge room with gym equipment and seven doors leading to further rooms. 

"Fall in!" She called, with a voice as cruel as the lines of her beautiful face. Tight fists loosened and slid into the pockets of her pants, trying to slip the leash back on her temper. 

The five other people that had been doing various activities fell into rank. Each with their hands behind their backs, chins up, and braced feet. The perfect little soldiers. That's what they were. What the woman wanted them to be, made them to be. 

Her mouth, painted a dark purple to match the button up shirt she wore, curled up at the corner, an unforgiving smirk. "Another one of you failed." She growled. No reaction from her fighting dolls, just blank stares and faces of determination. "I told him to not fail. I told you all, what would happen if you failed me again." Her dark eyes flashed, sparking with dangerous light. "Will one of you care to enlighten me, as to how we have lost two fighters in a matter of weeks?" 

A man stepped forward, still not speaking. His dusty brown hair and grey eyes were the only things normal about him. Skin that was a marble of grey and brown made him look like he was cut right from the ground. "Speak." The woman in the suit growled. 

"Commander Raven, two fighters are better than one." His cold eyes were the color of the dust clouds that filled the air when feet pounded through loose dirt. Nothing but obedience and solid will filled those eyes as he clasped his hand over the sign on his jump suit's chest. A scythe wrapped in a vine. 

"That's true." The woman, Raven, mused. "Anyone else?" The man stepped back and a woman took his place. A jaunty tilt to her lips and a cocked hip showing she wasn't as easy to break as the male that came before her. 

"I have an opinion." She purred. Grey hair fell just to her chin, cut widely like she had stood in a wind tunnel and taken dull scissors to it. Eyes of white with stripes of black fluttered as she bit her lip. "You sent the weakest of us first." Like the other one, her skin was weird. Hers was a lighter grey, almost white, cloudy like the sky before a storm. 

"And I guess you want me to send you in Skye?" It wasn't a question. And the girl's answering grin was more than answer enough. "I'll consider it. Get back in line." Skye followed orders, but the smirk stayed in place. "Is that all you have in answer?" 

None of the others stepped forward. 

"Well then." Raven cracked her knuckles. "Skye and Callan, since you two seem so chatty, will be sent out next." The girl licked her lips, the male just nodded. "Fail me, and it isn't that water wielding bastard you'll have to worry about." With that and a disapproving glance to the others, she left the room. 

That left Skye cackling as she returned to running on the treadmill.  The three others, a male and two females, who hadn't been chosen grinned to each other. What Skye had said had been true, but what made her so sure that wasn't the same reason she was sent out? Especially as a female that looked like she was crafted of night itself sauntered over to the weights. Her hips swinging and movement as fluid as the shadows that twirled in her presence.