"I'm A Big Boy"

"Shawn, don't forget to write in Aaliyah's card."

It felt like the fiftieth time you'd said that, hoping he would just put down his guitar and sign the damn thing so you could seal it up. Geoff was over, jamming with Shawn and adding commentary. Instead of taking two cars, you were all just going to go together and he would probably crash at Shawn's place.

"I will, baby. You don't have to keep reminding me. I'm a big boy." He quipped, passive-aggressively.

Geoff giggled, finding it absolutely hilarious when the two of you argued like an old married couple.

"Okay, 'Big Boy', I just want to get organized." You added as you walked out of the living room, into the room you share with Shawn to get ready for the party. Aaliyah was turning 15, and Shawn's parents were hosting family over for her birthday.

You picked out a knit sweater and some cabin socks to tuck your jeans into. Mid-September was quite crisp in Southern Ontario, but not quite cool enough for a coat. Layers and Blundtstones were always just fine.

Shawn popped in to get changed as you put the finishing touches on your makeup, tousling your hair and misting yourself with a musky perfume. Sneaking a look into your bedroom, you could see Shawn slipping out of his CrossFit sweater—no shirt underneath—and into a button-up, turning around and catching your eye with a smirk. Sauntering over to him, he smiled as you put your hands out to do the buttons for him. It was kind of becoming a tradition with you guys.

Yeah, you guys bickered a lot and annoyed the shit out of each other, but you were so in love.

"I feel I have to be the one to button this up now because I know I'll be unbuttoning it later." you said to him with a smirk and a failed attempt at a wink.

Shawn giggled, planting a kiss on your forehead. "Can I get that in writing?" he asked, squeezing your bum with his right hand.

"Cool it, Mendes. We've got a party to be at and a Geoff just outside that door." you said.

Finally ready, you grabbed your purse as Shawn twirled his keys around his index finger, Geoff packing up his guitar.

You noticed the card laying open on the kitchen counter, still blank aside from the little paragraph you'd written. Growing quickly annoyed at Shawn's carelessness and shitty memory, you folded it up and slipped it into the envelope to be sealed. If he was going to pull this shit, he'd have to live with it. Too late, "Big Boy." Just as you were licking the envelope, Geoff snatched it from you, practically slicing your tongue open.

"I swear to fuck, Shawn, if you didn't sign this fucking card.." he trailed off, shaking his head and looking at your boyfriend expectantly, with a hint of disapproval.

Shawn's eyes widened as he realized he hadn't written in the card like he said he would, and leaned over the counter to scribble something, fast.

You grabbed his keys from his hand, crossing your arms with a satisfied expression. "Guess I'll be driving, Not-So-Big-Boy."