Mates (Werewolf!Shawn, prologue)

Your eyes met his across the banquet hall, both of you avoiding the dance floor as the bride tried her hardest to get people moving. It was your cousin's best friend's wedding and you somehow ended up invited, hanging out on the sidelines and keeping your distance from anyone appearing questionable. You'd heard that a few werewolves would be in attendance, the thought making your blood run cold as you remembered the stories that circulated in high school about their demeanour.

You shifted in your high heels, unable to peel your eyes from his chestnut gaze as it pierced through your soul. You checked him out, taking note of his hard jaw and wild chocolate curls. He had broad shoulders and thick thighs, his navy blue suit hugging his muscles in all the right places. You grew uneasy as he seemed to look at you like a meal, cocking his head to the side and biting his lip. You could've sworn you'd seen a fang, choosing to ignore it in hopes he was a human.

A server passed him with a tray of champagne glasses, breaking his gaze as his eyes flickered to the drinks. He smiled at the employee and swiftly took two from the large plate, enormous hands engulfing the tiny glasses as he sauntered over to you.

Your heart began racing as he approached, realizing how much he towered over you once he was only a few feet away.

"Care for a drink?" he asked, handing you a glass, flashing a tattoo that appeared to be of some sort of bird.

"Um, hi," you smiled, taking the champagne.

"Hello yourself," he chuckled.

"Who do you know?" you asked, eyes grazing over the dance floor as you pinpointed the happy couple.

"I was um, in a, a frat with the groom," he mumbled unconvincingly.

"Oh, nice. He's my cousin's best friend," you replied, looking over at the man beside you, his eyes fixed on yours.

"I'm Shawn," he spoke, holding a hand out for you to shake. You took it, introducing yourself and welcoming the feeling of his rough, warm fingers around yours.

He opened his mouth as if to speak but stopped himself, taking a step back.

"What is it?" you giggled, adjusting your black minidress to make sure everything was in place.

"I, um, I was wondering if you wanted to go for a walk, get some air, maybe?" he trailed off, running his fingers through his chocolate locks.

"I'd like that," you said, smiling when you saw his face light up.

"We should get back in there," Shawn spoke after an hour or so, having wandered into the woods outside the reception.

"Why?" you giggled, stopping in your tracks. He stopped too, turning to face you.

"We're alone in a dark forest, and you're not afraid?" he asked quietly, reaching out to tuck a loose strand of hair behind your ear. You shook your head, completely lost in his eyes.

"B-but, but you're human," he said quietly.

"I knew you were a wolf!" you laughed, pointing at him with your index finger. He took a step closer and flashed you a toothy smile, fangs and all.

"And you're still not afraid?" he asked lowly, face resting inches from yours.

Normally you'd be running. Normally, you'd be screaming and flailing and cussing yourself out for wandering off with a stranger. But you weren't.

"No," you swallowed thickly, watching his gaze divert from your eyes to your lips, and then back to your eyes again.

You reached up and pulled his face down to yours, crashing into his lips and feeling his stubble against your palms. His mouth moved against you perfectly, falling open as his tongue brushed yours. He tasted sweet and warm, lighting an unfamiliar fire within you.

He pulled your lower lip into his mouth and tugged on it with his sharp teeth, earning a small gasp from you as your fingertips wandered down his trained chest.

He broke the kiss, resting his forehead against yours with a giddy smile on his face.

"Still not afraid?" he asked, strong hands rubbing up and down your arms as you shook your head with a smile.

He opened his mouth as if to say something, only to close it again.

"What is it?" you giggled, leaning back a bit as his eyes met yours. He took a deep breath before speaking, his face straight as an arrow.

"Do you believe in mates?"