Chapter 36

Daehwi's POV

After a few hours, I finally arrived in Jeju Island. A private plane brought me here and the stewardess gave me a letter and told me to open as soon as a leave the plane.

"The scholarship wasn't approved by the university. I'll give you this money instead and live your life there. Never ever break our deal Daehwi. Your aunt's job and living is at sake here."

I opened another envelope and saw a huge pile of money that costs $1000.

It's my first time here. I don't know anyone here. I randomly ask the people around if they know a place where I can rent a place. Some people ignored me, some people doesn't know a place.

Suddenly, a man went near me and told me that he's an agent. We went into one building and gave me a huge selection of places.

I chose the one near the market, a beach, and a public library that cost $60 per month. The deal was 2 months advance, 2 months deposit. Since I have the money here, I gave him the full payment already after signing the contract. I now have $760 left to start something for a living.

He told me that it is a 3-hour from here. I asked him for directions but he told me that he could rent a car and a driver for me and send me directly to that location for $20. I have no choice. I don't know anything here. I don't know anyone here. I agreed on the deal and gave him anoher $20. Wow Daehwi you just spent $260 in less than an hour.

I thanked him and left. I went inside and gave the direction to the driver.

After 3 hours, the driver told me that we have arrived in our destination. I was about to go out of the car, suddenly the driver asked for the payment.

"But sir the man who gave you the direction told me that this ride is already paid. I already gave him the payment."

"He didn't pay me young man. You might just have been scammed."

I felt a little nervous after hearing that.

"H-how much is the fair, sir?"

"$40 young man"

I gave him the payment and thank him

"Take care young man. Beware of the persons around you."

"Yes sir. Thank you again"

The address shows a small restaurant. I got really nervous. I have a strong feeling that I have been scammed.

I entered the restaurant and inquired inside. An old woman entertained me.

"Excuse me, ma'am. This is this place right?" I showed her the address in the paper.

"Yes son. How can I help you?"

"I just bought a room in this place from a man working at some agency near the airport."

"I'm sorry son but this is not an apartment place. There are no places around here that rents a room."

I was dumbfounded. I was scammed. I felt tears flowing. I don't know what to do.

"Oh my! Don't cry, son. What happened?"

"I have been scammed, ma'am. I'm new here. It's my first time going here in Jeju. I was asking the persons around the area in the airport for places and a man told me that he's an agent and offered me rooms. I-I have no other place to stay ma'am. Do you know the nearest place here where I can rent a room? Maybe permanently?"

"Well, I have a small space beside this reastaurant. It was a renting space before but no one wants to take it since it's a bit small. It's $20 per month"

"It's fine with me ma'am. I'll take it."

"Are you sure young man? Do you want to look at the place first?"

"Sure ma'am. Thank you."

"Please wait here. I'll take you in a bit. I'll just close the restaurant."

I nodded and gave her a smile. She smiled back and started preparing to close the restaurant.

I saw a wanted waiter sign near the entrance.

"Uhm. Excuse me ma'am. Is the job still available?"

"As a waiter? Yes son. But the pay is a bit low since I'm old and there are few costumers here daily."

"How much is it monthly ma'am? $10 per week. But you will only work from Mondays-Fridays. The stire is closed every weekends."

"That's fine with me ma'am. I'll take the job if it's okay with you."

"Oh sure young man. You seemed like a great kid. You're like sent from heaven."

I giggled

"That's too much ma'am"

"It's true young man. Let's go?"

I stood up and followed her.

We entered a small space. It's just a bit smaller than my old apartment but it has complete amenities. It has a small television, a small bed, a small cabinet, one drawer, a couch, a small dining table with two chairs, and a few kitchen utensils.

"It's better than what I expected ma'am. I'll take this place. Thank you so much"

"It's a bit late. You better rest now. You can give me that payment tomorrow morning. You can also start working tomorrow if you can."

"Really? Thank you ma'am. Thank you so much. I'm Lee Daehwi by the way."

"You can call me, Mrs. Kim. I'll be going now. Take a good rest son."

"Thank you so much" I accompanied her outside then returned to the room and fixed my things.

After a few minutes. I felt tired and decided to take a rest and continue cleaning tomorrow.

Jinyoung's POV

After Daehwi left, I didn't leave my room. I just stayed in bed. The maids are bringing me food but I never even glanced at them.

In the evening my mom entered te room and talked with me.

"He wanted that son. You can't do anything."

I felt annoyed. I know Daehwi didn't want that. I know that my mom did something to make Daehwi do it, like what Daehwi mentioned in the letter.

"I know that he doesn't want that"

"It's up to you then. You better eat. You father will be here tomorrow."

"Get me a new place. I won't bother looking for Daehwi. I will forget Daehwi. Just give me a new palce far from here and let me stay there alone."

"That's my son! I'm so proud of you. It's a deal then. Eat up and have a good night, son."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry it's been too long since I last updated. I'll make it up to you guys. I hope that you'll still support this story.  Thank you everyone!!!