25: Special Delivery

Svald wouldn't tell anyone what their newly necessary expense was. All they knew was that through the power of same day delivery they would found out at 7pm that day. The group set up camp in Victoria's living room. Victoria tried to distract herself with household tasks. She dragged duvets and pillows out of the cupboards and cleaned the house top to bottom. The rest of the group were also keeping themselves busy in their own way: filling the air with light news debate and small talk.

Dirk, of course, had his own personal mission for the day. He had to get Svald alone. Unfortunately for him Svald wasn't making it easy. He consistently coupled himself up with whoever was available. He stuck to the group like glue and when they failed to engage with him he stuck to Victoria. He cleaned by her side under the guise of helpfulness. Dirk knew better. He knew what a man hiding in plain sight looked like. Svald was fully aware that Dirk wanted to talk to him and that terrified him.

"What is he doing?" asked Todd as Svald tinkered in the kitchen. They watched as he occasionally walked by the half open door, blissfully unaware that he was being observed.

"I think he's making dinner." replied Richard. He bathed in the golden sunset as it streamed through the window. The empty day had gone so very fast.

"Is he a good cook?" he asked.

"No idea. I've never let him cook for me before." He'd never trusted him to cook before. He let them go as far as sandwiches and no further. The stream of creation had far too many issues with Svald and Richard didn't want to risk the whole place bursting into flames because it was bored. Still, it clearly had a use for the house and the people in it. The universe wasn't going to kill them, at least not yet.

"Maybe if I could just-" Dirk rose from his seat but Todd quickly yanked him back down. Dirk didn't argue in anyway, shape, or form. When it came to inter-personal relations Todd often knew better than him, though better didn't necessarily mean good.

"Victoria's stressed enough already. Just let her and Svald cook." Todd told him.

"Alright. I'll wait until we get a breather. Just don't let him shove us  onto a plane before I get to talk to him." Dirk nodded.

"What's got your knickers in a twist?" asked Richard.

"It's not important." Dirk shook his head.

"Dirk." Todd growled.

"Todd.' Replied Dirk.

"What's wrong?" he repealed. Dirk looked at the door. Svald was still happily occupied and unable to see any of them.

"I need to ask him about this." Dirk pulled the tattered photograph from his pocket. Todd scooted closer. His eyes scanned over the faded faces: both tired but smiling.

"Is that..."

"That's Svald." Dirk nodded.

"He looks so young." said Todd. "Who's that?" he asked, pointing at a young, ginger haired woman.

"That's-" The group jumped as a truck interrupted their conversations. It pulled to a stop outside of the house. Svald shot out of the kitchen like a mad man, barely sparing a glance for his hastily assembled team. Dirk shoved the picture back away. The group, releasing that talking might open a can of worms, kept their mouths shut.

"I'll just make sure this doesn't burn shall I?" Victoria called from the kitchen. Svald was already out of earshot. He was busy signing for his freshly delivered goods. Victoria let out a deep sigh and lamented not going straight to Dirk, her Dirk, cutting Svald out of the picture entirely. Of course, she would have had no way to find him. The fact that Dirk was helping her was a happy mistake, the result of a broken phone and poorly organised phonebook. Then again perhaps it was more than that. The line between him and Svald was becoming more defined everyday. No matter what Svald had his uses. It was just that, and she meant this in the nicest possible way, a total prick. She took the steaming lasagne out of the oven and placed it on the counter. She went into the living room, leaving it to go cold. She already knew that nobody would eat it.

Svald thanked the delivery man and came into the living room with a cardboard box in his hands. He placed the contents on the floor. Before the group layed a collection of shiny new toys: a plastic ball, coloured bricks, beautifully painted farm animals. Svald carefully lifted Albert away from his train and placed him in front of his new play set.

"Aw, Svald. I really appreciate the gesture but Albert already has plenty of toys." Said Victoria.

"I know." Svald nodded firmly. "But we need something to disappear and I don't want it to be anything Albert's had for a while."

"Why not?" asked Todd.

"Because children get very attached to  their toys and I don't want to risk a magic based temper tantrum. After all we can't guarantee we'll be getting any of this stuff back." Svald explained. "Now, Albert." he smiled softly. "Go play."