Part Sixteen

I woke up with L's head on my lap. We had both passed out. We played until round two hundred thirteen. I started to play with L's hair. We had both lost almost all of our money to each other, but we always came back and won, then the other way around, over and over and over and over again.

"You think I'm asleep?" L asked.

"I did." I stopped playing with his hair.

"Who won last night?"

"I don't know. We played two hundred ten rounds."

"Whoever got the most money in the end won, then."

"Do you think this is over?'

L chuckled again and sat up. "That depends. You ready to lose again?"

"No, but I'm ready to win."

"Game's on."

We just started when we both got calls on our phones. I picked mine up and knocked over L's stack completely. He growled at me, gave me a twenty, and picked up his phone. "Hello?" I answered.

"Is this (Y/N)?"

"Depends. Who's this?"

"So you are."

"Look, I'm working on that area of keeping my identity."

"And you just admitted to it."

"You know what? Shut up, man."

"Listen, I need your help."

"With?"

"I know that you are Kira."

"That's ridiculous!" Both L and I said at the same time. Was he getting the same call?

"Don't worry. I am too."

"Who are you?"

"Assassino."

"Isn't that the same as Kira, just in Portuguese?"

"Shut up."

"Why? You going to kill me?"

"No, but you love L, correct?"

"Who are you and what do you want?" L and I said the same thing again, and this time looked worriedly at each other.

"I told you who I am!"

"Oh yeah. So what do you want?"

"There's a party tonight at seven. It's a formal event, so wear a dress. When you're there, I'll come up to you and say 'the clock of life is always ticking'. Then you'll follow me. I'll send the address now. Don't be late." The phone hung up.

It was six right now. I went over to my bags and took out a dress I brought. L looked at me, still worried. "Where are you going?"

"Um... one of my friends is throwing a party. I know we're not allowed to leave, but it's really important to her."

"Yeah, I am too." L hesitated. We both knew each others lies.

We both got ready and then quickly said goodbye to each other.

I arrived at the address and went inside. "Hey, my friend said he'd bring a hot date!" One of the people said and pointed at me.

"Thanks?"

"Yeah, that's my girlfriend." Someone else came up to me and pecked my cheek. Then he whispered, "The clock of life is always clicking."

"You? No, that can't be true!" The first guy laughed, and I followed the other guy upstairs and into a room.

When we were in the room, he pulled out a gun. "Tell me what I want to know or else we'll have to do this the hard way."

"Okay, man. Just tell me what you want to know."

"Do you know L's real name?"

"Yes." I hesitated. Why hadn't I brought the Death Note with me? I could've killed him by now. His name was written above his head. Katashi Moto. My mind flashed back to the broadcast.

"Do you know how to use the Death Note?"

"Yes."

"Do you know my name?"

"Yes."

"I knew it." I heard the gun go off and felt something pierce my arm. For some reason, I blacked out.