Part Five of Two

"That was... this is where you got everything?" I had just finished showing L the first couple episodes of Death Note.

"Yes."

"And it's all... It's all true. Would be, if you weren't here?"

"Yes."

"I'm sorry."

"For being a jackass earlier?"

L sighed. "Yes."

"It's fine. It happens a lot with a lot of different people."

"Just because it happens with different people and often doesn't mean it's okay."

"I know."

L kissed my head. "So, what about the rest of this?"

"I don't know. If you want to watch it, we can."

"It would certainly be... Interesting."

"Yeah. This was actually my favorite show. I never thought I'd get to live it."

"Unexpected things happen."

"Like meeting and falling in love with your favorite character?"

"Yeah, that would definitely be the more 'unexpected' side." L chuckled.

"Yep."

We were about to start the next episode when there was a knock at the door. I got up and looked through the peephole. It was Near. I opened the door. "Hello (Y/N)."

"Hey Near." I closed the door after he came inside.

"I did some more research and spying, and Light is planning to go to Canada. We only have about two weeks before he leaves." Near sat on the edge of the couch and twirled his hair. "And you guys are watching anime." He sighed.

"This is how (Y/N) knew everything." L defended.

"What do you mean, 'knew everything'?"

"When the Kira case first started, she knew everything there was to know about. She proved she knew more later on, too."

"The Kira case literally lasted thirty minutes." That's right. No one remembered anything from the other life at all.

"Not to us. Remember how we explained the glitches?" I asked.

"Yes, but I don't see how-"

"When either of us dies, we go back to the beginning of the case." We had explained this to Near once, but I don't think he was even listening.

"Like time travel?"

"Kind of. We're just the glitches in humanity."

"So if I killed you right now, you would go back? Who else would remember any of this other than you two?"

"No one." I replied.

"Really?"

"Yeah. And I'm guessing if, say, I die and not L, I'd be the only one to remember and he'd only remember last time."

"Interesting. Do you have any proof of this... Death travel?"

"Death travel?"

"Yeah, like time travel, except you aren't traveling in time, but instead in death."

"Okay, well, we don't have anything other than our words to prove it."

"L? Is this true?" Near twirled his hair again.

"Yeah." L was already in the middle of the next episode. "Everything she says is true."

"Then it's confirmed." Near said. "But what are we going to do about Light?"

"I don't know. We would write down his name in the Death Note, but he stole both of them. And apparently got two more." I replied.

"And that would be murder."

"We wouldn't be able to do anything else to him. His lifespan is five hundred - nothing can change that except for the note."

"I see..." Twirl. "What if we do what Light is doing and bribe the Shinigami?"

"We need a Death Note in the first place to do that. Unless... We could go back to Ryuk's pet."

"Hell no." L stood up and turned around.

"Do we want to get Light?" I retorted.

Twirl. "I know Mello would be willing to go, too. He might not be able to see the creature, but we could at least try." Near said.

"No, he wouldn't." L replied.

"He likes to do things others can't - if he thinks you can't do whatever with this creature, then he'll do it." Twirl.

"We can give it a try, but I doubt he'll say ye-"

"I've just contacted him and he said yes. He'll be over within thirty minutes." Near stopped twirling his hair and put his hands down.

After thirty minutes, there was a knock at the door. I went over again and checked the peephole - this was definitely Mello. I opened the door. "What's this creature you guys are too scared to fight?" Mello grinned and opened a chocolate bar.

"We're not fighting it... Maybe. We're going to negotiate with it." L spoke.

"You guys are boring. Come on, let's go see it."

Luckily, we had saved the coordinates on one of our phones. We got there in much less than an hour. "So, we didn't think this through..." Near commented, looking down the waterfall and twirling his hair. "How are we going to get down?"

"Good question, great answer." Mello said, and got some rope from what seemed like no where. "Right here."

"Where'd you get that?"

"Someone's hou- yard sale. They always have climbing gear in their baseme- yard. Yeah, basemeyard. It's a new thing now." Mello said, grinning and tying one end of the rope to the rock that Light had sat on to 'think'.

L and Near both rolled their eyes while I just chuckled. This was the Mello we all knew (maybe not, from the show, but in my opinion Mello was a better bad guy, so HE'S GOING TO BE A... BAD GOOD DUDE). He threw the rest of the rope down into an area without much water. "Ladies first." He bowed to me and this time I rolled my eyes and Near and L chuckled.

"Wouldn't that be you?" I retorted, and Near broke out laughing as Mello's face went pale.

He muttered a curse in some different language and started down the rope, L, Near and I just following into the deep pit which contained a nightmare.